keel hanger kit

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

David Jones

I tried to take the hanger kit off of my 1977 cat 22 today. I was able to get all bolts out except one. It is spinning but not coming out. Maybe stripped.I think I will have to drill it out unless anyone has better ideas. Also something strange with the bolts I got from catalina direct are about 1 and 1/4 in long The bolts I took out are 3 inches long. There seems to be no way the 1 and 1/4 will work. Any thoughts or experince with this? Thanks.

D

David

insert bushings

You were right they were through bolted and buried under fiberglass. Thanks. Are the insert bushings necessary?I have not been able to chip all the fiberglass yet.

Ken

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 22 P. P. Y. C.
bushing

yes the inserts are threaded 5/16" they are not thick enough to drill and tap to 3/8". Its a project that Catalina says repair from above but several have completed without any problems from below. Added benefit is not to have to cut and repair the liner if however PO cut the liner I would repair from above and let gravity work for me rather than against. The inserts aren't terribly expensive. I've added a link to another owner that did the repair from below. Good Luck Forgot to mention that making this repair will ensure you have a dry boat in the future as it is you will most likely always battle leaks

B

Bob B.

The 5/16" hanger bolts seem

a bit fragile to me. Could a person drill up through the insert & right through all the fiberglas from the bottom with a long 3/8" drill bit. Extra long bits are available. Then use an extra long 3/8" bolt or all thread to bolt up the hanger bearing. You could cut out the necessary fiberglas on top to get a flat surface for a large washer or plate. If using SS all thread, use a nut on the top & bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.