Keel for MacGregor 25

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
I have a spare keel for a MacGregor 25. I know they're hard to come by so should I keep this as a spare?
If you've got the room, sure. It could be a hot commodity to sell if shipping costs aren't involved.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
if you take care of your boat properly, you should never have a use for a spare keel... but for those that dont take care of their boat, you may be able to trade it to them for several hundred dollars someday....

Nov 30, 2016
MacGregor 25 Texas
if you take care of your boat properly, you should never have a use for a spare keel... but for those that dont take care of their boat, you may be able to trade it to them for several hundred dollars someday....
Thanks for the feedback. I read a post about a year ago where someone was talking about how they lost their keel and the advise given was to get rid of the boat. That's why I was thinking a spare keel would be worth something to someone. I don't know how you can lose the keel, but who knows? Even as I was learning to sail, I beached mine a couple times and never had a problem losing my keel. I've caused other problems, but nothing that couldn't be fixed with some sail repair and some paint. I'm picking the keel up this weekend from a buddy who is scrapping his boat. If you hear about anyone with a Mac 25 that needs a keel, shuffle them my way. Thanks!

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
Thanks for the feedback. I read a post about a year ago where someone was talking about how they lost their keel and the advise given was to get rid of the boat. That's why I was thinking a spare keel would be worth something to someone. I don't know how you can lose the keel, but who knows? Even as I was learning to sail, I beached mine a couple times and never had a problem losing my keel. I've caused other problems, but nothing that couldn't be fixed with some sail repair and some paint. I'm picking the keel up this weekend from a buddy who is scrapping his boat. If you hear about anyone with a Mac 25 that needs a keel, shuffle them my way. Thanks!
the best way to lose a keel is to never inspect the keel bolt(s).... a boat with a swing keel that is kept in the water can wear out the pivot bolt and hole in the keel due to the constant motion of the keel rocking on the bolt, and the two dissimilar metals in constant contact with one another... this is not normally a problem with a boat that has spent most of its life on the trailer, but when one buys a used boat they never know how it has been treated throughout its sufferings with its previous owners...

keep an eye on the wanted ads on this site and elsewhere... you will eventually find someone looking for a keel like you have, as the mac 25 was, and still is a popular boat.