keel design of Lancer 28

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 16, 2010
Lancer 28 Frisco Bay Marina, Frisco,CO
Does anyone have design info for the shoal keel; i.e. cross section drawing, thickness of fiberglass "skin", location of ballast and thickness? I wish to add additional ballast in the form of a bulb which would necessitate keel bolts. This kind of info should be available from the designer, Shad Turner, but I've been unsuccessful in locating him. Any ideas out there?:confused:

Sep 27, 2010
Lancer 28 Ventura, CA
My L28 shoal keel (1982) had a problem with the steel ballast. I cut open the floor and removed the steel. The keel looks to have been cast the same as the hull. I replaced the steel with lead. The lead took ½ the space of the steel for the same weight (2200). So the ballast was in the lower part of the 16” wide keel.

Nov 16, 2010
Lancer 28 Frisco Bay Marina, Frisco,CO
:neutral:
My L28 shoal keel (1982) had a problem with the steel ballast. I cut open the floor and removed the steel. The keel looks to have been cast the same as the hull. I replaced the steel with lead. The lead took ½ the space of the steel for the same weight (2200). So the ballast was in the lower part of the 16” wide keel.
Thanks for the info, Sidney. Guess my next step is removal of the cabin sole and discover what I'm getting into

Sep 27, 2010
Lancer 28 Ventura, CA
I describe the problem and the repair in more detail in my posting 09-28-2010 under L-28 Hull “oil canning “on trailer. If you would like more info let me know. I think my boat sails a little better with the weight lower in the keel.

Status
Not open for further replies.