Keel Bolts

BillGr

Jul 5, 2020
Grampian 26' fixed keel Gulf Breeze
I have a 44 year old 26' Grampian fixed keel bolt. I will be hauling the boat around 7/19/20 and would like to know what inspections should I perform? The 44 year old caulking under the keel nut washers has lost it's resilience. I would like to loosen each keel bolt, replace current caulking, and retorque nuts. What caulking should I use? What should I torque up keel bolts to and what sequence? What caulking should I use on the hull/keel outside joint. Thanks

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
If you cannot find a manual that describes the torque for the keel bolts, I would find a boat with similar displacement and use that recommendation as a guide. For instance the Hunter manuals are available on this site under the "owner resources" tab.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
There is actually an ISO standard that tells you how much torque keel bolts must have. It depends upon the diameter of the bolt. I don't remember the standards number, I'm on my phone up North on Lake Champlain at the moment. But will be back down to the office on Tuesday, if I remember to look for it then I can post the standard reference if you'd like. I have a copy of it in my home office but that's 4 hours away right now. If you do want me to look for it send me a PM.

dj

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Done on hard with anti seize compound to prevent galling stainless steel.

BillGr

Jul 5, 2020
There is actually an ISO standard that tells you how much torque keel bolts must have. It depends upon the diameter of the bolt. I don't remember the standards number, I'm on my phone up North on Lake Champlain at the moment. But will be back down to the office on Tuesday, if I remember to look for it then I can post the standard reference if you'd like. I have a copy of it in my home office but that's 4 hours away right now. If you do want me to look for it send me a PM.

dj

BillGr

Jul 5, 2020
Thanks for the insight. I am not hauling boat until 7/20/20. I already have ASME Y14.5-2018 Torque Values for Stainless Steel Bolt Chart. Can these be used?

dj
I am not hauling boat until 7/20/20. I already have ASME Y14.5-2018 Torque Values Stainless Steel Bolt Chart. See Link below. Can I use these values.
Torque Values Stainless Steel Bolt Table Chart | Engineers Edge | www.engineersedge.com

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Thanks for the insight. I am not hauling boat until 7/20/20. I already have ASME Y14.5-2018 Torque Values for Stainless Steel Bolt Chart. Can these be used?

I am not hauling boat until 7/20/20. I already have ASME Y14.5-2018 Torque Values Stainless Steel Bolt Chart. See Link below. Can I use these values.
Torque Values Stainless Steel Bolt Table Chart | Engineers Edge | www.engineersedge.com
Standard torque values assume metal on metal. Not sure you want to expose fiberglass and maybe wood core to that much compression.