Keel bolts on 1980's Catalina 25's

chilly

Feb 19, 2021
Catalina 25 Santa Barbara
I have a 1981 25' Catalina fin keel. When I bought her, I did a pretty good inspection looking at the bilge, keel bolts and even jumping in the water with my subasuit to inspect the hull and keel. The keel had no Cat smile nor any hairline cracks. The bilge area had no gelcoat cracks was completely dry and no sign of water infiltration in the supports. However the keel bolts were pretty rusty looking. Not sure why the would look like that when the bilge and keel are healthy?

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
They look just fine. It appears someone re-glopped the entire bilge and got messy with the threads.

Since you're new to your C25, are you aware of the C25 Association and their own website? Many of us do both forums.

I had a FK/SR, 1981, #4891 for many years. Loved that boat.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
It looks to me that in the first picture, some of threads have corroded away, no? If that's the case and they are stainless steel, there must've been a lot of stagnant water in the bilge for a period of time. What really matters is how are the threads under the nut and below. Also, is that garden hose being used for the bilge pump? Interesting.

chilly

Feb 19, 2021
They look just fine. It appears someone re-glopped the entire bilge and got messy with the threads.

Since you're new to your C25, are you aware of the C25 Association and their own website? Many of us do both forums.

I had a FK/SR, 1981, #4891 for many years. Loved that boat.
Good description "glopped". I had a feeling that the white glopped area was not original; I imagine many Cat owners at some point glop the bilge area for preventive maintenance. Appreciate the input.

chilly

Feb 19, 2021
Being a 1981 Cat 25 I don't think they are stainless steel. No sure what they are, steel? I think Catalina went to stainless on the keel bolts after 1986. Good suggestion to remove the nuts and look at the threads underneath.

She is a solid fun boat and want to maintain her well. What product like Rustoleum would go well to coat these keel bolts for further preservation? Thanks.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
I would: chip off the epoxy around the bolts, remove the nuts and washers, and clean-up the bolts and nuts with a wire brush, put some anti-corrosion product on the threads (tef gel, lanacote etc.), re-torque the bolts and then glop on some more epoxy to protect the bolts. If they are mild steel, you could also apply some rust converter to make sure all the rust is gone:

Since they are not SS, I would try to ensure the bilge remains dry.

Last edited:

chilly

Feb 19, 2021
Great suggestions and my hunch was in that direction but appreciate the specifics.