Keel bolts epoxied over on a 1982 Beneteau First 38

May 25, 2018
Beneteau First 38 SAILING THE SEA OF CORTEZ
Looking for information on an 1982 First 38. Just had it surveyed and the surveyor had never seen keel bolt which were epoxied over in the bilge from the factory.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2012
Hunter 27-3 103 Gables By The Sea
In the newer Beneteau's, anyways, the keel is presented to the hull where the hull keel bolt holes have been pre-drilled. The keel bolts are screwed from above into tapped holes in the iron keel. What you see in the bilge is uncovered square washers and hexagonal bolt heads. Beneteau keel bolts have been known to rust/deteriorate and are generally easily changed and relatively inexpensive. For a 361 they were like $7.00 each. Beneteau says they can be changed in the water. Google the subject, there is plenty of information available. Be more direct with the surveyor to see exactly what he is trying to tell you.

Dec 31, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 351 Charlottetown
As CharlieSea mentioned above, some keel bolts on some model Beneteau boats are subject to rusting and they used non-stainless steel bolts. Maybe the po applied epoxy to seal the bolts? This is a picture of mine, replaced this spring with new replacement of Beneteau, however not at 7 bucks a bolt, mine were about 23.00 each with the money exchange and shipping., (still better for the piece of mind!)

Attachments

Dec 22, 2012
Hunter 27-3 103 Gables By The Sea
Brian,

Good job, where you able to get them out without any problems? Did you haul the boat or do it in the water?

Charlie

Dec 31, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 351 Charlottetown
Brian,

Good job, where you able to get them out without any problems? Did you haul the boat or do it in the water?

Charlie
Thanks Charlie, They were tight all the way out due to the sealer on the threads. The bolts are only 20mm, so not much left after ,some of the heads are only 22mm!). I did it in my yard, next to my welding shop, just in case things went sour. :)

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
I had an 85 375 ( almost the same boat) not glassed over. That looks terrible BTW, now a critical component is non-serviceable. Maybe they were really ugly and rusted so he glassed them over? I would alter any offer down by a bunch based on needing to rectify this situation. The cost of removing the FG at least.

May 25, 2018
Beneteau First 38 SAILING THE SEA OF CORTEZ
We heard back from Beneteau France and they did glass over the keel bolts from the factory. We will be removing and replacing keel bolts.

Sep 13, 2011
beneteau first 42 Mayne Island, BC
We heard back from Beneteau France and they did glass over the keel bolts from the factory. We will be removing and replacing keel bolts.
Just curious, how did you get in touch with Beneteau France? I am having a difference of opinion with my Surveyor regarding the hull lay-up on my 1984 Beneteau First 42. He claims it is a cored hull and I think it is solid fiberglass. Would be nice to get a definitive answer from Beneteau France (built there). Thanks!