Keel Bolt Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rod

I had my keel re-fastened in 1997 and I just went to the yard to sponge any H20 out of the bilge and discovered that my stainless bolts are disintegrating. I am looking for advice as to why this is happening. The orriginals lasted twenty years. I did spill about a quart of bleach in the bilge while cleaning last fall and I tried to flush it out. Could any remaining bleach cause this over the winter.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Disintingrating or rusting?

rust is rust, but if they're getting "mushy" or spongy, you could have stray AC electrical in your marina (or in your boat) that is attacking your keel bolts. You might also want to check your thru hulls and make sure they're not in the same condition. Try an archive search on this and see what comes up -

P

Phil Aylwin

Another keel bolt problem

I read about the keel bolt problem, and I to have this problem. My bolts however appear to be RUSTING. I was once told that stainless can rust submerged if there is no oxygen in the water. If the problem is stray A.C. from the water, would an isolation transformer on the incoming shore power be a solution? Thank you anyone for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.