Keel bolt location - Lancer 25 (1975)

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

"M"

Does anyone know where the keel bolts are located on the 1975 Lancer 25? Thanks, "M"

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
What keel bolts?

The L25 doesn't have any. The keel isn't bolted on, its molded as part of the hull then the cavity was filled with metal ballast and epoxy was dumped on top. There is a hollow cavity at the back under the step with the four screws in it forming your bilge. Advantages are less maintenance since you don't have to worry about your keel bolts or maintaining the gap between the stub on the hull and the metal keel. Disadvantages are that when you ground, you ground on fiberglass and need to be aware that you may be introducing water into your ballast area. This can be a huge problem if it can't get out and it freezes so it must be repaired properly. In short, if you hit something hard, haul your boat for inspection...but you need to do that in any case. I have seen bolt on keel boats where the keel pushed up and dented or cracked the hull after impact. In any case, given the draft of the 25, unless you are on a shallow lake or one filled with rocks you should have little to fear. I grounded on mud once and you couldn't even tell. BobM

M

"M"

Thank you!

Thank you for this helpful and well-informed info. I really appreciate knowing this! I recently bought a Lancer 25, but was unable to speak with the prior (and original since '75) owner.

Status
Not open for further replies.