keel attachment through non-glassed plywood

Sep 24, 2010
Newport 28 Port Clinton
There are a number of posts about the keel attachment to the boat at the keel recess, but ...

When my micro-balled epoxy broke(like most do), and a piece fell out, I now find that the bolt for the leading edge of the keel appears to have been bolted through a non-glassed piece of plywood.

I was ALWAYS under the impression that any time plywood was used for a stiffener, that the actual wood was epoxy & glass encased.

Of all the threads, here and elsewhere, no one has mentioned the topmost layer above the keel recess to be a "bare" piece of plywood with the poured microball epoxy directly over.

I have read that Capital Yachts appear to have taken liberties and shortcuts in the making of these boats and wonder if my boat is the result of a shortcut, such as not glassing in the plywood?

In any case, even with water damage to the plywood, the keel is solid, which might be a testament to the trailing 3(at least I suspect & hope there are a total of 4) keel bolts.

I also notice there seems to be nowhere to find what the fiberglass thickness at the keel recess is. None of the other posters indicated a known thickness and there appear to be no readily available construction drawings that might show an expected thickness ... all, kinda important to know when the "forever sealed" keel bolts aren't so absolutely sealed as advertised.