Keel angle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 8, 2004
Macgregor 21 Clinton, NJ
Bruce, As far as I know it should hang straight down. When extended, as you look into the hole the cable feeds into(it should go over the stern side of the bolt in there) it appears to head forward since the pivot is several feet forward of the winch cable and hole.
When fully extended and the cable is a bit slack you'll hear the 'Mac Hum' as you reach hull speed. I kind of like it but taking up a bit of slack on the cable will reduce this. While I have the cable marked on Mine when fully retracted(in case admiral just gets tired on dock approach and 'thinks' the keel is up all the way) I plan to mark the fully extended position of the cable on a calm day next season.;)

Jul 26, 2010
mcgregor venture ruedi
Thanks for the quick reply but when I look at my keel it hangs at about a 75 degree angle to the hull. I have some issues with it resisting full extension but so far this is the furthest I can get it out. Next season I might get under and bang on it a bit if I know for sure it should extend more. Also I keep looking for a hole to lock the keel in place but can't find one.

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
Are you able to insert the lock boat through the hole in the keel. If so the angle of the keel will be properly set. If you can't do this then I would check the winch to see if the cable is overwrapped. Ya don't want to sail her unless the keel is locked in place. If you get knocked down the keel can fly up into the hull and damage could insue. Fair Winds...

Jul 29, 2010
In reference to the locking hole for the keel. If memory serves me on my V21 the locking bolt hole should be under the V-berth. The bolt is stainless about 1/2" dia. with a rubber washer and stainless washer on each side with a wingnut. If you sailing on a lake with shoal issues as I am, I use a 1/2" wood dowel and pack the hole with plumbers putty. Not pretty but it works. In case I run into a submerged mountain or sandbar it just snaps the dowel. I ripped out part of my keel trunk once with the bolt in place. Let me know if you find the lock hole. Fair Winds....

Jul 29, 2010
Just a thot. Is the keel fiberglassed. If so it may have expanded due to corrosion of the cast iron. This will prevent it from fully extending. If so it will have to be removed, damaged area stripped to bare metal and reglassed. This happened on my V22. Good luck...

Jun 8, 2004
Macgregor 21 Clinton, NJ
I stand corrected... never looked at the brochure :doh:or dived underneath but sail often in skinny water so have never tried to lock it down .

Status
Not open for further replies.