Kanzaki transmission dip stick

Buddha

Feb 20, 2020
Morgan Classic 41 Panama city
So I just purchased this vessel and when checking the dip stick for the transmission I can’t see any fluid really. I’ve added almost a quart and still nothing. How much fluid does this tranny take?

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
My dipstick fits so tight that it wipes itself clean when you pull it out. I made one out of a sish kabob stick so I could read it.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Suggest looking for the transmission model number and find the manual to confirm its fluid capacity as it will not take much. The link below might provide some useful information. Attached is the manual for a number of transmission models that might help.

Attachments

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
One quart is too much. My 343 that has a KM2P-1 Kanzaki requires .3L ~ 10 oz. Check your yanmar manual or spec plate on transmission for the recommended oil and quantitiy. A mechanic told about an easy method to visualize the oil level. Remove the dipstick and wipe clean, then reinsert ( do not screw in), remove dipstick and roll it on a clean paper towel to visualize the oil level. The transmission oil is clear and really difficult to see on the stick; the paper towel trick works well. Be careful when threading the plastic end cap into the transmission, it is fragile and prone to cross threading and breakage. I replaced mine a couple years ago with an after market dipstick from Cariblue Marine; expensive, but super quality. www.caribluemarine.com

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
So I just purchased this vessel and when checking the dip stick for the transmission I can’t see any fluid really. I’ve added almost a quart and still nothing. How much fluid does this tranny take?
Different brand and model here. Bell housing on our engine states the type lubricate, which is ATF. End of dip stick has a ring indentation, which is the full level when the stick is placed on the housing and not screwed in. Takes very little.

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
You need to remove some of the oil in the overfilled transmission before you run it. If you don't; at best, oil will squirt out of the vent in the top of the dip stick, and at worst, your transmission will be damaged.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
I can’t see anything on mine either..... but what I do is pull it out and place it on brown paper to see wet mark. I change the fluid annually and have never lost a drop.... the plate on the trans usually says how much fluid and type required. Mine is .5 liter (1/2 liter) so you may not want to run until you know.

Last edited:
May 31, 2022
Endeavour E33 Chicago
The manual I just downloaded was for a ton of different Kanzaki transmissions. This is the text:

Transmission Oil Level Check screw it in. Pull out the dipstick and read the oil level on the dipstick. Check the transmission oil level on a weekly basis.
1. With the boat at rest in the water and the engine off, unscrew the dipstick (Figure 39, typical). Wipe it with clean rag or paper towel. Reinsert the dipstick, but do not screw it in. Pull out the dipstick and read the oil level on the dipstick.