Kanzaki KM2P1 Transmission removal

Jun 13, 2009
Catalina C320 mk 2 Australia
Going to pull the transmission from the Yanmar 3ym30 for clutch inspection. For those who have done this, how far does the tranny need to come away from the engine before clear to remove? Thanks.

Jul 23, 2018
hunter 31 aquia
about 3-4 inches. its not much. I had to disconnect the coupler flange, loosen the packing gland and push the shaft back most of the way.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
3-4 inches. I had to loosen the engine mounts and raise the engine using the mainsheet to get it to where it would clear. It's a bit of a wrestling match but I got it done in about an hour or so.

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
It isn't much as dasreboot said. On my boat I doubt it's even more than 2.5 inches as you can see by the attached pix. I was able to undo it by simply pushing the shaft and its coupling against the packing gland. The toughest is reaching the bottom two bolts of the 8 that hold the tranny to the engine. The splined shaft of the tranny is not very long (see pix) so once all bolts are off then you can pull it back and slide it out. Loosen but keep the two top bolts secured until all others are undone. It will be easier to control movement of the tranny until ready to pull it out.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
about 3-4 inches. its not much. I had to disconnect the coupler flange, loosen the packing gland and push the shaft back most of the way.
That was the hard part! Then make sure when you put it back together the packing doesn't leak.

Jun 13, 2009
Catalina C320 mk 2 Australia
Thanks all. Getting past the prop shaft coupling was my concern.
Will replace a couple of bolts with longer threaded rods to ensure no surprises!
Cheers.