Justin--what's your opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fred Ludwig

Hi Justin: I see your responses to many problems people are facing with their O'Days. Maybe you would offer some advice concerning water getting into my bilge. I have removed my centerboard--finding it with several holes that I have now repaired--and checked the centerboard trunk thinking there must be some kind of crack in it. It just seems like there is too much water coming into the bilge to be coming from the centerboard bolt. I have ordered new gaskets for the centerboard bolt. Can you tell me if I need to prep these gaskets somehow (vaseline, caulk, etc.) or just put them on dry? I have checked the hull and there are no cracks anywhere where water might be coming in. The centerboard trunk also appears watertight--apart from the holes where the bolt goes through. One final question: the autobailer at the stern of the boat(it's the type with a small ball in it where the ball is supposed to float up and cover the hole when the boat is at rest)--any chance this could somehow be letting water into the bilge? I feel like I ought to just plug it up as I don't expect to take on much water in the type of sailing I do. Thanks for your help!

B

Bernie

leaks in oday sailboats

Fred Ludwig As I just stated to another boater : Contact D&R Marine at 508 644 3001

J

Justin - O'day Owners' Web

Finding water

Fred - First the short answer - I lubed my centerboard gaskets with vasoline - worked well for me. Now - finding water. It is very possible the water is going around the outside of the bailers and into the hull. I would pull them as you suggest, but I would reseal and replace them. Do you have a drain plug in the transom - if so pull it and reseal the fitting to the boat and lube the plug before replacing it. If these don't do it things get more annoying but these are good things to do for your boat anyway - try it out and tell us what happens. Justin - O'day Owners' Web

F

Fred Ludwig

Thanks, Justin!

Hi Justin: Thanks for your suggestions. I'll give them a try today! Have a good 4th! Fred--Houlton

D

Dick Grigsby

Leak

We have had two boats at our club that have had similar problems but on different sides. In both cases the leak was due to a crack in the hull underneath the seat. On one it was on the port side. On the other it was on the starboard side.

Status
Not open for further replies.