Just Launched

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
So after spending last summer working on getting my 1977 Cherubini Hunter ready to go in the water after probably about 16 years sitting on the hard, she is launched and sailing! Here are two photos, first one launching (before the mast went on) and the second one in her slip several miles down the lake from launch site.
dj

Launching.jpg
Docked.jpg

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Thank you. Now I'm in the process of figuring out all the glitches that need to be worked out...

dj

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Way to go @dLj . Must be a great feeling to be in the water. Glitches... They come with a boat. Have a fun summer.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
You got past the biggest glitch you will ever have with her. Congratulations :clap:.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Congrats!! Always feels good to get your boat in the water. After 16 years it has to feel very good!

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
PM me if you have questions about the H30C.
Got photos of the jib sheets pulleys? I don't have any and am trying to figure out a good system/location for them. There are no tracks. I understand the originals hooked onto the aluminum rail (is that called the toe rail?).

Last weekend I was out sailing and running around 6.5 knots with jury rigged pullies for the Genoa sheets...

It is awesome to be sailing!

dj

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Congrats!! Always feels good to get your boat in the water. After 16 years it has to feel very good!
16 years is from others. It was abandoned essentially. I bought it last year.

dj

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
C478B108-9D20-4638-88FE-1A9CFFB2AD62.jpeg
Good for you @dLj, if you haven’t experienced the stability, handling, comfort, and speed of these fine cruisers (mines a 1978) you’re in for a thrill. Best of luck and fair winds. Stay in touch and let us know if you need any assistance. Especially have some fun.

Nov 30, 2015
Here’s a starboard side shot that shows the OEM rigging. We’ve changed nothing. Difficult to single hand, but we’re not out in the ocean or racing. If you zoom in you can follow the jib sheet back from the hanked on sail cover back through the toe rail block to the winch.

E9AD19DD-9F61-4C1C-B443-68FB9F31F8CC.jpeg

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
You got past the biggest glitch you will ever have with her. Congratulations :clap:.

- Will (Dragonfly)
From your lips to Gods ears!

Good for you @dLj, if you haven’t experienced the stability, handling, comfort, and speed of these fine cruisers (mines a 1978) you’re in for a thrill. Best of luck and fair winds. Stay in touch and let us know if you need any assistance. Especially have some fun.
This is the first time I'm sailing on one of these Cherubini Hunters. While I haven't done a lot of sailing yet, I was quite impressed so far with her pointing ability and her speed is quite nice. She does like a big head sail... I see you are not far from me. My older daughter is currently finishing up her graduate degree at Cornell... I'm in Ithaca frequently.

Here’s a starboard side shot that shows the OEM rigging. We’ve changed nothing. Difficult to single hand, but we’re not out in the ocean or racing. If you zoom in you can follow the jib sheet back from the hanked on sail cover back through the toe rail block to the winch.
If you could take a close-up photo of how that block attaches to the toe rail, that would be most appreciated. The position you have yours in looks like for the original job, which I believe was a about a 96% jib. This past weekend, I was running with the Genoa and needed the block to be back two of the toe rail holes stern-side of the life-line staunton where your's is located bow-side in that photo. Is that pulley connecting to the top rib of the toe rail? I also need to get a boom-vang, need a different main sheet (the one I have is too small for this boat, but it's working for the moment...). Oh yea, and I need to install an autopilot to be able to single hand this boat...

Great photos all!

dj

Nov 30, 2015
The position you have yours in looks like for the original job, which I believe was a about a 96% jib. This past weekend, I was running with the Genoa and needed the block to be back two of the toe rail holes stern-side of the life-line staunton where your's is located bow-side in that photo. Is that pulley connecting to the top rib of the toe rail?
Correct! We have a 110 jib and a 155 Genoa. The snatch blocks are Schaefer brand with swivel and the toe rail position in the photos above are for the 110. We also move the blocks aft for the big headsail. Unfortunately I don’t currently have an image of the attachment to the toe rail, but I believe it’s fairly intuitive considering the image below.

If you’re ever in Ithaca through the summer, please feel free to stop by for a visit. We will be at our Marina most Sundays from July through August. Occasionally on a Saturday as well. Slip 139.

EC7E76D4-4AC5-47DA-92C4-0C9B39A6C208.jpeg

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
In addition to a snap shackle attachment on the toe rail you may want to use a short piece of stretch cord from the top of the block connected to a simple spring closed hook connected to the top lifeline. This will keep the block upright and off the deck even when unloaded. Most, not all, blocks have a top attachment point suitable for this purpose.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
BlowMeAway - that pulley set-up is what I had figured I'd look for. The photo was hard to see if that indeed was the case. I would actually love to stop by and take a look at your Hunter one day. I have a ton of questions about things I have on the inside of mine that I'd really like to see an original boat and compare. Not sure I'll be able to make a weekend this summer to come to Ithaca though - I'm planning to spend all my weekends sailing and fixing my boat :) I will most certainly keep the offer in mind however, and thank you for that. When do you take your boat out of the water? I may have some time in the fall to drive up.

dj

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
In addition to a snap shackle attachment on the toe rail you may want to use a short piece of stretch cord from the top of the block connected to a simple spring closed hook connected to the top lifeline. This will keep the block upright and off the deck even when unloaded. Most, not all, blocks have a top attachment point suitable for this purpose.
That's a great idea! That would keep things from getting into strange angles and putting some twisting motions into play that could cause damages...

dj

Nov 30, 2015
Hi @dLj, we have to take the boat out around the third week of October. You are welcome anytime before or after then. We can easily review the inside once the boat is on the hard in the fall.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
DJ, as you have seen and heard, the attachment point is on the toe rail. Proper positioning is a matter of sail size, wind strength, rig tuning, sea state and point of sail. It really comes down to how to get the best performance and balance from your boat given the above criteria. And, since these variables will change from one day's sail to the next, it's gonna be fun to figure out what snatch block position works best for that particular day.
I've been single handing my H30C for 39 years without auto pilot. But I did install a wheel brake. It was a lot cheaper!
Looking forward to your interior questions.
Regards,
G.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Hi @dLj, we have to take the boat out around the third week of October. You are welcome anytime before or after then. We can easily review the inside once the boat is on the hard in the fall.
I have to have my boat out of the water no later than October 15th, so likely I'll pull it out the first weekend of October. Just to be on the safe side. That could work perfectly to swing by after that. But I'll be in touch before - and thank you again.

dj

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
DJ, as you have seen and heard, the attachment point is on the toe rail. Proper positioning is a matter of sail size, wind strength, rig tuning, sea state and point of sail. It really comes down to how to get the best performance and balance from your boat given the above criteria. And, since these variables will change from one day's sail to the next, it's gonna be fun to figure out what snatch block position works best for that particular day.
I've been single handing my H30C for 39 years without auto pilot. But I did install a wheel brake. It was a lot cheaper!
Looking forward to your interior questions.
Regards,
G.
Using snatch blocks is an easy way to do this. I just have to find the right sized ones that don't cost way too much...

I was looking for a wheel brake on mine thinking that would have helped a great deal. I did do some pretty funky 360's while setting and taking down sails... I was really wishing for tiller control... Also, on a really nice reach, I wanted to go down below and sort out some noises I was hearing. I just always have to know every squeek and creak my boat makes and where it comes from... I can't stand noises that I don't know where their are from...

I've noticed that this boat has water lines to each sink (kitchen and bathroon), one for hot water and one for cold water. But I haven't figured out where there may be, or may have been, a hot water heater. Any ideas of where they may have been put originally? And what kinds might have been used? The lines are clearly original as they run behind the water tank with original fiberglass as a guide at least in one area. Those lines get mighty cryptic back in the engine room area and I still haven't been able to follow them out all the way... Any thoughts?

On my windows, they all look original except the nuts that close them from the inside are actually stainless steel wing nuts. I've never seen that as original on any boat, perhaps that is what Hunter did back then? I'm more accustomed to seeing round knobs with some kind of texture that allows you to grip them well. Got any photos of your window knobs on the inside of these boats?

I need to replace two of the original screens. The frames are broken. I have the broken frames, but these don't look easy to either fix or to build replacements. Are replacements available here on SBO? With that in mind - any thoughts on how to screen in the companion way?

dj