Just Got Back From Bahama's (O'Day 222 - 1985)

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Michael Poole

Just Got Back From Bahama's - O'Day 222 1985 (NORA) Going to the Bahama's in my own boat has been a 35 year dream. On Sunday, June 5, 2000 left Boca Raton Lake, Notified Boca Raton Inlet Bridge for access and by 3:00PM my two son's (ages 20 and 16 years) and I was off for the Bahama's. Seas 1 to 2 feet 10-15 knot winds SE. A perfect day. Four miles out a friend caught up with us to see if everything was OK. Arrived West End 14 miles 2:00AM - Intense lighting and I decited to hang South until sun rise. Seas getting rough 5-6 breaking waves. Tried to turn into the wind but the chop was too rough. Decided to go back under sail, which was a smother ride. Almost ready to deploy sea anchor. Wing ding came loose from back stay and I was able to grab back stay as it shot forward. I yelled for the boys to get up that we were in trouble. I told the boys where the spare parts were but luckily all the parts fell into the cock pit. Checked into custome at 11:00AM. We were so tired and temperature was 98 degrees. Left NORA in the slip at the old Jack Tar Marina now called Old Bahama Bay Marina. New management is changing everything. New hotel was being built and facilitates were great. I had gone 3 days without sleep and told the boys we were checking into the Harbor Hotel and Marina (1 mile from Old Bahama Bay Marina) to get some sleep and get away from the intense lighting that lasted for four days. Stayed at the Harbor Hotel and marina for two days. Talked to a lot of local people (almost everyone we met) and met the local bus driver who convinced us to take the local bus to Free Port, then to the International Bazaar and Flea Market, then to Port Lacanya. We had a great time! By Wednesday we were ready to go home but the tropical depression in the Gulf was pulling everything to it. Yep you guessed it a Nor-Easter. The Gulf Stream was running 5-8 feet and winds 20 knots. We waited until Monday. Per our local bus driver on Sunday "You boys can go home tomorrow". He was right and by 6:00AM Monday, we were heading back to Boca Raton, Fl. The first 15 miles were good and we were making good time. Then we hit the Gulf Stream. We were averaging 1 to 2 knots. The GPS couldn't register our speed. After 30 miles out decided to motor-sail and started making good time. Miscalculated the Gulf Stream going back and we were unable to get south enough to use the current. I told my wife I would call her by 9:00PM Monday but all my calculations were in error by a factor of three. Attempted to call any station and finally reached a freighter but he was unable to use his cell phone, ours had a weak signal. Fourtee miles from Boca Raton, FL. 2:00AM, the signal was good and I contacted my wife and she was worried. One hundred and fifty yards from Boca Raton Inlet Bridge we reached the gate keeper and he advised not to enter. Seas were 6-8 feet running into the inlet. At fifty feet of water we anchored and waited for day light. It was a rough ride at anchor and NORA was bouncing all over. I didn't know it until I got home (Hampton, GA) that one of the pins that secures the twin plates on the rudder pulled loose. All in all it was a good trip and a lot could have happened but didn't. Now its time to rest…

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Wow!

That was one wild ride! What an amazing adventure for your kids. How'd they do through it all?

J

Justin - O'day Owner's Web

Right on!

Michael - Excellent story. Sounds like an excellent trip. Several people I know locally are preparing to make a similar trip in their O'day Tempest. Any thought's you'd pass on to them in particular? Justin - O'day Owner's Web

Status
Not open for further replies.