Just getting started.

Nov 3, 2019
Looking Looking NJ
I’ve been a guest on my friends sailboat a few times. She recommended joining to ask questions because I’m interested in getting my own sailboat. Is it recommended to start with used or new. Also is their a size recommendation. I’m planning to be in the ocean ASAP. But lake is good too. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
You will get much better advice if you spend some time thinking about and then telling us... how you expect to use your boat.

Things to consider...

1) Day sailing, racing or cruising?
2) Trailer the boat or keep in a slip?
3) If cruising do you expect to do overnights or longer trips? Do you need an enclosed head or will a port-o-potty be good enough for you? Will you want to cook on the boat or not?
4) Draft? Is your sailing waters shoal or deep?
5) Will you have a crew or will you be sailing mostly by yourself?
6) Budget?

Oct 10, 2009
Catalina 27 Lake Monroe
Is there a sailing club somewhere in your vicinity? That can be a good place to start looking. Used boats are abundant but it may be wise to make friends with someone who knows boats before looking. What size to buy depends on your goals and your pocketbook, honestly. But assuming you want to do some cruising, many people have started in the 22 to 25 feet range, which is easily handled at the dock, will have relatively simple systems but can be used for a couple nights on the water.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Welcome to SailboatOwners.com!
It's a great place to get answers to your questions about getting started sailing.

Is it recommended to start with used or new. Also is their a size recommendation. I’m planning to be in the ocean ASAP. But lake is good too.
Start with used. Plenty of used boats for sale and you're bound to hit a dock or two while learning to sail. No sense dinging up a new boat while learning.
As for size, answers to rgrangers questions will help with suggestions. You can solo sail surprisingly large sailboats if they are set up correctly.
Ocean sailing requires going out an Inlet. Some are much more dangerous than others and a bigger boat with more powerful motor is safer and more comfortable. There are a lot of nice bays in NJ to sail but most have shallow waters so knowing where you want to sail will help in boat suggestions as well.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I am a big believer in buying a boat for the way you are going to use it now and not for what you might use it for in the future. Since you have ocean ambitions I would consider at least 30'. Most sailors buy used at first. I Rx not spending a wad of money until you know what you like and what you don't. With used boats you'll lose less money when you decide you want something else. Avoid fix er uppers. When looking at boats look for clean. Anything with standing water in it, mildew, mold, undue odors or corrosion. Since you're talking about oceans I'd only look at inboard diesels - likely a Yanmar. If you buy a boat on a lake it is obvious that it has to be moved if you want to sail on salt water. This can be pretty expensive. Also if you shop for a boat on a lake there is likely less selection. That's the very short version.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
My suggestion is to buy a 15 foot or smaller very cheap dinghy that's pretty beat up, but serviceable. This is not going to be a boat to take your friends out on, but instead you will be crashing into docks, running aground and even tipping her over on occasion.
This is how almost every professional sailor of note learned to sail, not through some cookie cutter expensive course.
Along with your little beater, I would highly recommend a great little book called Royce's Sailing Illustrated, a fun yet very comprehensive book filled with information for the novice sailor or experienced professional. No massive preachy tome this, just a well put together book with everything from rigging, docking and even splicing. I've been using it to teach sailing for nearly 45 years.
Good luck and remember, sailing is supposed to be fun, so keep that in mind when you are having a hard day.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I’ve been a guest on my friends sailboat a few times. She recommended joining to ask questions because I’m interested in getting my own sailboat. Is it recommended to start with used or new. Also is their a size recommendation. I’m planning to be in the ocean ASAP. But lake is good too. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
WHAT PART OF JERSEY, BY ZIP CODE?

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
Hello there. I recommend joining a sailing club. That will give you an opportunity to sail with other folks on different kinds of boats. If you want to buy a boat do not buy new. Waste of money. Lots of good used boats out there. A nice 20 to 25 ft boat will take you anywhere you want to go and you can spend the night on it. A good sailing boat like an Olson 25 makes for a better sail in my opinion. Understand that boats are expensive.

Nov 21, 2012
Yamaha 33 Port Ludlow, WA
Something else to consider, owning a boat and sailing a boat aren't the same thing. In fact one often gets in the way of the other. Spend a much time as you can sailing before you take the plunge into ownership. Rent, borrow, crew for others. Your own boat will arrive in due time.