Just finished new renovations - Need Advise

Sep 22, 2019
Chrysler 26 Pymatuning Lake
Enjoying sailing very much since we put the boat in the water last Sunday. This is the first time we are sailing
0F83C232-56CC-4FF8-A024-CAAC5C86FB10.jpeg
it after six months of renovation on the sailboat. We took off all hardware sanded the whole boat repainted and then put all the hardware back on with new bolts and screws. We even took out the port lights and put new caskets on the windows. We had a very strong Rain storm The other day. After the rainstorm I decided to go to the marina and see if the boat had any leaks. I paid more attention to the areas where it had leaks before which were many. I was happy to see the inside was as dry as a bone except for a few small drops under the starboard bow side portlight and the port side stern portlight. During the renovations I did remove the portlights and separated the glass from the frame and replaced the gasket and then reset them with a generous amount of caulking. I put a little bit of clear silicone on the frame in the inside of the cabin. I am not too upset but a little disappointed of course. Does anybody have any recommendations on how I can address this small leak?

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Very pretty boat. Love the color.
I'm afraid I'm no help with this problem. No experience setting portlights.

Were your gaskets OEM or did you make them?

-Will (Dragonfly)

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
first, nice job

second, clear silicone is never ever the go to on a boat. there is not one application to use clear silicone on a boat. this is my opinion. worth what you paid for it.

Ajay73

Jun 11, 2011
Catalina 1980 C27 Meinke Marina on Lake Erie
I had those windows on my C-27 and I could never get them to not leak. Personally, I think those windows were a very bad design because of the problems I had with the leaks. For your problem you might try a little caulk on the outside of the glass right where it contacts the frame. I mean just a very slight bit of caulk applied with the tip of your finger. Probably use a black color. Use masking tape for a clean line. This is not the "right way" to do it but might be something to try. Easy to reverse if it doesn't work. I've seen others do this.