Just Bought a Catalina 30 TRFK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 3, 2009
Hunter 34 Milwaukee
Hi, I Just bought a 79 Catalina 30 TRFK. Upgrading from a 87 Hunter 26.5. The boat is on the hard with 3 months to sailing season and would like to get this rigged before stepping mast and sailing up from Chicago.
I would like to set up a Asymmetrical spinnaker. I believe I need to install a masthead crane for the halyard. Where do I buy this? Any pics installed? I am also curious on where to mount the tack block. Again pics would be great.

I also want to mount a wind vane, pic's of it installed installed would be a great help.

Thx
Phil

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 380 16 Rochester NY
It's funny, I was going to post a question about an asymetrical spinnaker setup.

Below is a picture of the top of my mast, from a 1977 Catalina 30.

Is the stainless 'hoop' on the front of the masthead a spinnaker bail?

If so, what type of block do you suggest I use to run the spinnaker halyard through? Also, what kind of weight would a halyard block and that bail hold?

I've always wanted to rig up a bosun's chair off the spinnaker halyard while sailing and let friends and kids ride the chair in the waves. And have that halyard as a safey backup line when going to the top.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Chris

Attachments

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 310 Scott Creek, VA
Yes the bail is for a spinnaker block. If it has four through bolts it will easily hold a chute (or person). You should mount a swivel block similar to this http://shop.catalinaowners.com/detail.htm?group=996&cat=1911 which has a 3000 lbs working load limit and will swivel when you hoist the a-sail. Anytime I go aloft I prefer an internal halyard (so if the block fails you will fail safe) as the primary, and a second halyard as a safety. You could easily do this with your bos'n's chair and be confident as long as the youngster stays put in the chair.

Status
Not open for further replies.