Just bought a CAL34, question on wiring Depth Finder

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I actually paid someone today (and they showed up!) to route my depth finder wire, fix the hole I drilled incorrectly (for the depth finder going from captain's table to cockpit), and connect the antenna (with the existing wire, ) fix my propane solenoid, and fix my navigation light that was out. All in 3 hours of work. (I've spent what feels like decades trying to work through this...) Plus I did a radio check, it worked! I still have more projects, but these were the outstanding ones on my survey so today has been more than glorious!
Congratulations! Happy to hear that you have several critical projects completed. Sometimes, if you don't have the time or expertise, it's more practical to outsource; I am sure that you learned something along the way!
With regards to the propane solenoid, I only leave the tank valve and solenoid on while actually using the stove/oven. I always turn off the tank valve off while on board overnite or when off the boat. I know some who rely on the solenoid only and always leave the tank valve open; I don't trust the system completely, so I just turn off the tank valve for ultimate safety precaution, maybe overkill, but.....
Good luck with the upcoming projects....there will always be projects. I complete one and add two or three, have never been project free!!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
That is great news Heather.
I have been reading the book ”The Self Sufficient Sailor “ by Lin and Larry Pardy. In case these names are unfamiliar, they are a couple who adopted a cruising life 40 years ago, before YouTube.

The reason I share is the quote Lin made. It is about choosing simplicity when considering your boat. “If you can’t fix it yourself, save the money right now and the aggravation later.” Think simplicity.

You and your boat are on an adventure together. It is easy to be seduced by gadgets that promise to make your sailing experience better. (That is marketing)

One question that helps. If this thing breaks down can I still go sailing or will ai be stuck in the marina?

Fair winds