Just bought a 311, Chartplotter Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

reworb

Apr 22, 2011
Beneteau 311 Ft Myers Beach
I just bought a 2004 311. The previous owner did not have a GPS or a chart-plotter. I'm looking to learn where and how (what kind of mount) you installed one. Also in what size you think is sufficient for day sailing in the Gulf of Mexico.

In my prior boat I had a Standard Horizon 5".

May 24, 2007
Beneteau 352 Milwaukee, WI
We sail Lake Michigan with a fair amount of BIG commercial vessels and fog. Can't afford radar.

I have a Garmin 546 GPSMAP http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-GPSMAP-5-Inch-Waterproof-Chartplotter/dp/B002JM3IAQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1328570021&sr=8-2

on a RAM mount http://www.ram-mount.com/Products/MarineElectronicMounts/tabid/141/Default.aspx

connected to a Standard Horizon Matrix AIS+ GX2150 VHF radio http://www.standardhorizon.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=83&encProdID=A2C2F4EB2A092075389DC4199A79B6C1&DivisionID=3&isArchived=0.

Gives me a chartplotter at the helm that shows AIS targets and is easily removed and stowed below when we leave the boat.

We have used a RAM mount for all our chartplotters that we have had at the helm (on various boats) and find that they work well for electronics that you want to remove when leaving the boat.

reworb

Apr 22, 2011
Where did you (both) fasten the mount to? On the pedestal or what?

I am leaning to a permanent installation as I live on the water an the boat will kept on a canal behind my house so the electronics disappearing not really an issue.

May 24, 2007
5" chartplotter on a RAM mount, B352 ...

I am leaning to a permanent installation as I live on the water an the boat will kept on a canal behind my house so the electronics disappearing not really an issue.
Where we typically mounted the chartplotter at the helm.

The Admiral is 4'10" on a tall day. Seated at the helm, she still has a good field of vision.

May 24, 2007
B361 with an 8-10" chartplotter in a pod at the helm ...

We had sailed on a B361 with a nice, large chartplotter in a pod at the helm. The Admiral had to stand in order to have a clear view forward ...

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.

We mounted our plotter beside the companionway. Hopefully you can see in the photo. Sorry, but it's the best shot I can produce on short notice.

Attachments

Sep 24, 2006
Sabre 36 Express Chattanooga, TN
When I added a Raymarine RC435 chartplotter to my B361, I moved the instruments around on my binnacle to make room for it. I didn't want to block my view forward and I wanted to have the information right in front of me for quick reference.
Here's a shot of my view during a recent offshore passage between Fort Myers and Naples, Florida. I also made a teak holder for my iPhone (lower right), which is my back-up chartplotter. Of course, it doesn't link to the autopilot like the Raymarine does.

Attachments

Nov 21, 2011
Beneteau 311 Cape Coral
I just purchased a 311 myself, and installed a Lorance HDS7. I'd say its a perfect match for the boat. Big enough, but not overpowering in the small cockpit.

To mount it, I used a small sheet the white plastic West Marine sell as the base, fixed to the screws which support the cockpit light (above the compass) at the front, and supported by two short lengths of Aluminum bimini pole at the rear, down to the bottom of the top section of the instrument pod. Looks great, does not restrict movement around the cockpit, and gives you two extra vertical poles to grab onto when moving around. All the cabling goes up the bimini poles so 'tis very neat. Very low cost too.

I'll take some pictures of it tomorrow.

Bill

reworb

Apr 22, 2011
I hope you are having better luck with your new boat than I am with mine. Mine broke down on the way here, its now in Panama City FL, I'm in Ft Myers Beach.

Engine failure, the Yanmar has only 190 hours on it, waiting for a mechanic to open it up on Tuesday (2/28) but there is a good (bad) possibility of a broken piston.

Can't wait to see your pictures, sounds like a nice way to do it.

Nov 21, 2011
Beneteau 311 Cape Coral
I looked at the boat you purchased, and went for the 2000 model in Cape Coral instead. I did have engine issues, but only crud in the fuel, and a fuel polishing took care of that.

I find posting pictures is an issue. I can send to your e-mail though if you are interested. The whole mount probably cost $50, all wiith bits from West Marine, and I think it looks very professional.

Good luck with the engine. The Yanmar should last forever, but maybe it was abused.

Bill

reworb

Apr 22, 2011
If you could send me pictures by email (private message) that would be great.

I looked at the boat you bought I even made an informal offer but the owner wanted more than I wanted to pay. I also had the fuel polished and the tank cleaned; mine like yours had sat for a while.

Jan 18, 2010
Beneteau 311 Cayman Islands
Amazing what you can learn in these forums. I had my eye on both of your boats, but wasn't able to make the trip to see them prior to your purchases. I was able to see three other CB 311s, and finally made an (accepted) offer on the Miami boat. Seems like a fair offer for both myself and the seller, so hopefully the sale will go through - going to survey soon.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread, but I was also very interested to see the photos of your setup, Bill. If you could also send to me via personal message, I'd be grateful.

Kind regards,
Mike

Nov 21, 2011
Beneteau 311 Cape Coral
311 is our first "susbtantial" boat, and we love her. The shallow draft brings cries of envy from virtually all other sailors we encounter. Certainly, in the Cape Coral area, it is a very valuable feature.

A note in passing: These boats were built with a Volvo shaft seal, and these are supposed to be burped when they have been out of the water. In a world of boat lifts, this is never done, so expect some leakage, and $200 expenditure on a PSS dripless seal which works great.

Pics coming.

Apr 27, 2010
Beneteau 352 Hull #276 Ontario
Kind of late to the discussion but I had some fittings available and created what is pictured. Gives me a place to grab on to and I Have used it for that purpose.

Just my 2 cents worth

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.