Just a little braggin'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 380 16 Rochester NY
On my first cruise this spring, I stupidly took the boat out in 25+ kt winds and 4-6' seas. Certainly not the smartest thing to do on your first shakedown cruise. :eek:

But I just had to get out there and scream at the wind. Thankfully, the only thing that happened was that EVERYTHING down below ended up on the floor. I was lucky, any number of things could have happened; missing cotter pins, faulty through hull hose fittings, loose shrouds, etc. It won't happen again. :naughty:

I did lose the cover to my pedestal though. It was old, ratty and was brown sunbrella fabric, while the new main sail cover is burgundy....perhaps I purposely lost in by accident? :Liar:

So I decided to make a new one. Never sewed, don't know a button hook from a button hole. I happened to find a snippet of a video on YouTube from Sailrite on how to make a pedestal cover. It couldn't GET an easier!!!!

I spent about $60 on fabric, needles, zippers, the whole video instruction, thread, a soap pen (gotta have a soap pen!) and took some 6mil plastic sheeting down to the boat and made a pattern.

I then borrowed my sister-in-law's cheap ass Singer sewing machine, spent an hour learning how to sew and dove in!

I can't believe it actually worked! While some of my sewing is a bit off, it's a bit oversized and there are some glitches in the final result, I am in love.

Is that so wrong?

Attachments

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
Very nice! I'm still avoiding the sewing machine :) my mom gave me years ago. You did that with a regular machine?

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
good for you, its a good first project and looks great. You will live with it for some time, change things on the pedestal and then you'll be in good shape to make your second one!!

We had one made and then added a big folding wheel. Of course the cover did not fit so the guy cut it down the middle and added a zipper. It fits, but not really well. I should have been more adventurous as you were and made one myself!! Good job.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 380 16 Rochester NY
Thanks guys...and yes it was on a regular low end Singer Tradition.

I tried to use v-92 thread that was UV protected but it wouldn't fit in the needle, it worked in the bobbin so I had half and half. Doesn't matter as most of work is hidden.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.