Just a cool photo

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
Friday night beer can racing on SF Bay. Blowing 20 kts and choppy. No one from my regular crew showed so we were five strangers sailing together for the first time including a couple from Norway in San Francisco on business. One of them snapped this photo.
5F7FD98F-B873-439B-9676-9C715E3A7A66.jpeg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Nice photo. Good that your new crew has a good eye for an image.
Might want to repeat the experience.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
we were five strangers sailing together for the first time including a couple from Norway in San Francisco on business.
That sounds like the kind of racing I could find fun. How does one go about recruiting a couple from Norway in SF on business or any of the other crew? I assume all had sailing experience?
Details, give us some details. There has got to be a good story or two here.
Who bought the beer afterwards?

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
Is that because the waves are 12 feet and you have the rail buried a foot below the surface, the breeze in your teeth and looking like a wild man at the helm yelling YeHa...
I haven't done that since the Bene, it throws the dishes around in the cupboard and messes the bed spreads.:dancing:

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
[QUOTE="Will Gilmore, post: 1546100, member: 139601]
Details, give us some details. There has got to be a good story or two here.
Who bought the beer afterwards?

-Will (Dragonfly)[/QUOTE]

There were five us; each with our secrets, each with our own reason for being there that night. There was me, the skipper; Lucas, the friendly young fellow with a duffel bag that he guarded a little too closely; Ava, the tall, blond Norwegian woman who had an easy smile and the demeanor of a CEO. Her traveling companion was a young man named Axle, a fair haired fellow with an eye for photography and for Ava. Then there was Christine, a tall, athletic brunette who was more comfortable in a Dragon boat than a sailboat but up for whatever.
The weather that night was perfect. The fog rolled in through the gate as the sun set behind Tiburon. We sailed hard and we drank harder. We parted ways as fellow sailors and citizens of the world.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
mark, thanks for the photo, brings back lots of memories of sailing there from 1978 to 2016. Consistent winds. Oh, boy, how I miss that!

Here at a Catalina Rendezvous at Telegraph Harbour, on Thetis Island, Beautiful British Columbia. My license plates say so! :)

Thanks again.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
There were five us; each with our secrets, each with our own reason for being there that night. There was me, the skipper; Lucas, the friendly young fellow with a duffel bag that he guarded a little too closely; Ava, the tall, blond Norwegian woman who had an easy smile and the demeanor of a CEO. Her traveling companion was a young man named Axle, a fair haired fellow with an eye for photography and for Ava. Then there was Christine, a tall, athletic brunette who was more comfortable in a Dragon boat than a sailboat but up for whatever.
The weather that night was perfect. The fog rolled in through the gate as the sun set behind Tiburon. We sailed hard and we drank harder. We parted ways as fellow sailors and citizens of the world.
Man, I hope you have (or find) a way to get paid to write. That first paragraph was magic.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
I was waiting for the next line like "Nobody knew the next few hours would twist this crew into a savage quest for survival.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Friday night beer can racing on SF Bay. Blowing 20 kts and choppy. No one from my regular crew showed so we were five strangers sailing together for the first time including a couple from Norway in San Francisco on business. One of them snapped this photo.
View attachment 166950
Nice! You lose quite a bit of the image to level the horizon. Probably better slanted.
level horizon.jpg

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Man, I hope you have (or find) a way to get paid to write. That first paragraph was magic.
I was waiting for the next line like "Nobody knew the next few hours would twist this crew into a savage quest for survival.
It's interesting, because I've been thinking about the idea of starting a sailing story thread. Outline an idea, kick it off with a few paragraphs and see where each new contributor takes it. My guess is it wouldn't be long before our hero was sailing in outer space.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Feb 2, 2010
Island Packet 37 Hull #2 Harpswell Me
Markwbird, your crew description sounds like the opening paragraph of a spy novel, can you please provide the rest of the story.