just 2 more repairs.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
i have just 2 more repairs to solitary bird to complete before i leave san diego in february 2011.... i have packing gland replacement and i have chainplate replacement and modification.
i will be externalizing my internal chainplates on my formosa and i will show pix when complete. 3 of my aftmost chainplates are cracked 1/4=1/2 in cracks at the bends from twistoflexing due to not having the blocks between the chainplate and the formosa's hull. these will be replaced one at a time, using the halyard as stabilizer for the mast as i redo each of the failing ones.
i will be replacing my packing gland-- seems my leakage is from a failed packing gland rather than a cutlass bearing problem...whew!!!!! the new ones are soo beautifully bronze and my old one is soooo DARK PINK!!!! when packing gland is done i can motor over to a dock and treat my water tanks and fill--i hold 160 gallons in 2 tanks, one on each side. then i am closer to my departure date , which should be within 2 weeks of my crew arriving from sweden, which should be within the month.
HOOOOOOYAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Ed A

Sep 27, 2008
Hunter 37c Tampa
The dark pink should tell you you have had a bad electrolysis problem. stray current is eating the metal. You should have that checked out to ensure your underwater metal is not being disolved by current. Maybe you should install a galvanic isolator or bond the fittings together to stop the corrosion.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
the electrolysis was from before i bought boat when boat was in santa barbara--po was told this boat needed a cutlass bearing --rofl.. that is fine--go figger--is entire packing gland is bad. previous restorer(LOL) was not adequate--is why i have so many repairs to finish.is all good. there i am is no electrolysis to speak of--is a mooring field across from nassco shipbuilding-- over half mile away. zincs last 2 years here. prop and all is good...checked by a smart diver with good work ethic.
HOOOOYAAAHHH--I AM ALMOST READY-- my brain is ready and has been since i got back from louisiana in may-- i am sooo gonna celebrate!!!!! crew arrives soon for final preparations, then on to mazatlan. pictures will come....

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Enjoy! is snowing here.

Nov 9, 2008
Pearson-O'Day 290 Portland Maine
I always dreamed of a crew from Sweden, but for different reasons.

RECESS

Dec 20, 2003
Pearson 323 . St. Mary's Georgia
I need pics of this boat. I have created it in my mind several times and want to see how close I am!

dew

Apr 18, 2010
macgregor 26x lake martin
Good looking boat, looks ship shape and raring to go. Like the man said 'You go gurl'

RECESS

Dec 20, 2003
recess!!!!!!
is in my album here on site-- the green and white one.

http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com/album.php?u=87044

should get ye into my album with the pix of my baby pirate shiplet

the lil one sailing is my ericson 35mII.....
fuzbutt is kat...LOL
That exceeds my mental image, and I am a fan of the Formosa. I could not imagine having a place to sit behind the wheel as nice as that. Does a private shrink come with that to ask you how you really feel about sailing such a beautiful boat?

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
That exceeds my mental image, and I am a fan of the Formosa. I could not imagine having a place to sit behind the wheel as nice as that. Does a private shrink come with that to ask you how you really feel about sailing such a beautiful boat?
please feel good in knowing i couldnt obtain it until the boat had been alone and lonely floating here for 4 yrs-- is a tad worn. the sofa is maliciously delicious. she does not shine anymore but she is a good boat...

feel?? FEEL?? rofl!!!! I WILL BE PRINCESS OF THE PIRATESSHIPLET!!!! HOOOOOOYAAAAHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and finally!!! underway.... whew...... has been work and torture!! and fun...

now,what DO i feel about sailing this beastie....??!!...uuummmmmmmhhhhh^^^^^^

RECESS

Dec 20, 2003
My wife and I looked at the pics and her question was how much did you pick her up for? I know it has probably cost you a pretty penny to bring her back. That is just a beautiful boat.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
got her with blown engine and ugly and abandoned for 10k against my ericson...... have put into her only $ 3k engine-some still pending, plus $720 deck backing plate, plus few hundred rent of my other and better worker plus a coupla light fixtures and --packing gland, chainplates-- we moddin' and will take some time even after leaving for completion--i am so tired of waiting .. i dont do that one well at all..oh, yeah--cable for quadrant is needing replaced, and relocate nav lights to shrouds about 10 ft up off deck for visibility. so, not much , actually-brought the wood back myself, and some other tasks--found a hardwood and bronze boarding ladder for her..commpleting the interiors of the cabinets--hadnt been finished when po bought her..lil stuff---not more than 5k so far --as a high guess...spozed to have her, i guess...
bringing back older teak is just sea water and scrungeee pad and rinse with sea water then let to dry
after wood looks dry, teak oil or tung oil. i paint it on thick and soaks in realllly well. when you are done you will know the true color of teak wood..is awesome!!!!only takes a few hours--i spend 6 hours per year on my teak---LOL...isnt shiny, but is wood color and fresh water beads up on it, as is supposed to ...not slick either, so i can walk on it if i need.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
today i epoxied the new to be bulkhead with cpe's to keep water from intruding and prevent dry rot. this week completes this task and e will glass it in when i find a money tree..LOL...prolly in mid jan. packing gland is christmas present from mom so that will be in by jan and then.. chainplates and cable and hydraulic fluid and stores and outta here.. mebbe some paper charts.......crew should be here by end december--mebbe sooner....hoping the sea gods are kindly.....figgered i would dedicate this trip to a special sail team mate who isnt able to accompany for different reasons....

RECESS

Dec 20, 2003
10K is awesome. That is a beautiful vessel. Glad to see it get into the hands of someone that will love her instead of the fate that she was being dealt until you intervened.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
10K is awesome. That is a beautiful vessel. Glad to see it get into the hands of someone that will love her instead of the fate that she was being dealt until you intervened.
i love her-- she is rough but she is good--better than i originally thought.... i am lucky..am trying to bring her to gulf coast and caribean. we should all get together for a meet...in warm waters, after i get there...or maybe at lulus.....lol
or cat island....or....

Feb 26, 2008
Catalina 30 Marathon, FL
Zee,
The boat looks beautiful, the cat looks spoiled (as it should be).

Wishing you all the best,
Jim

RECESS

Dec 20, 2003
Seriously let me know when you are near the Gulf Coast. We will make the trip and bring some food or margaritas. I would love to be on her while she is under sail, but the dock would be awesome too.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
Seriously let me know when you are near the Gulf Coast. We will make the trip and bring some food or margaritas. I would love to be on her while she is under sail, but the dock would be awesome too.
dont worry-- we will let everyone know exactly where we are --- and with pix--i am looking forward to this adventure...is step 3 in my permanent cruising progress....each stage is a graduation and rogress to the next phase/ page...
would be jolly and awesome to meet and sail with ye....i dont do docks really well, buti make exceptions

Status
Not open for further replies.