Jupiter-Saturn Conjunction is December 21

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Saw it. Not worth the tee shirt. But thanks KG for the head’s up. If I had to live to 145 I’d have to go back to work. C12927D7-D712-41EA-BD1E-8DB73452826F.jpeg

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I think Madam Pele' was not happy about being upstaged by a couple of distant planets. :huh:

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
Good conditions in Western Arizona. We have had this six inch mirror telescope that the FIL never used, we ended up with it.. it was great to have tonight!

12_21_20_1.jpg

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Yeah, I saw it. Not worth the hype.
It’s not like one has to stay up late, get up early, travel far from home for most, or spend money. Not worth it to step outside at sunset and look up for a few minutes to see an exceedingly rare celestial event, b/c of why—that it was in the news? It’s more rare than a total eclipse of the sun, than meteor showers, than comet sightings, etc. If nothing else it at least identifies where Jupiter and Saturn are in the evening sky so one doesn’t need a cell phone’s digital celestial chart to locate them. You’re seeing an alignment of planets, respectively, 500 million (Jupiter) and 1 billion (Saturn) miles from Earth!! It’s fascinating. People spend a bunch of money to travel from all over the world to see the tajmahal (?). :doh: Now there’s something “not worth the hype”, so people have told me.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 340 Forked River, NJ
The great conjuction? After sunset last night (12/21) we went to the Gulf coast beach in Naples, Florida, facing West and standing in the cold (for Florida) and wind. We saw a semi-bright star at about 30 - 40 degrees above the horizon, which was, in fact, two close stars when we used our binoculars. There were lots of other star gazers around us and they all asked: "Is that it?, Could that be it? I think so but I'm not sure", so it was sort of a disappointment. Someone who spoke with some possible authority said that he had seen the planets with their moons and was sure we were seeing "the conjunction". It was interesting but, I have to say, it did not live up to the hype about an 800 year Christmas star. Nonetheless, it's always good to get out to the beach at sunset and share such an event with our mostly mask-wearing neighbors.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
The great conjuction? After sunset last night (12/21) we went to the Gulf coast beach in Naples, Florida, facing West and standing in the cold (for Florida) and wind. We saw a semi-bright star at about 30 - 40 degrees above the horizon, which was, in fact, two close stars when we used our binoculars. There were lots of other star gazers around us and they all asked: "Is that it?, Could that be it? I think so but I'm not sure", so it was sort of a disappointment. Someone who spoke with some possible authority said that he had seen the planets with their moons and was sure we were seeing "the conjunction". It was interesting but, I have to say, it did not live up to the hype about an 800 year Christmas star. Nonetheless, it's always good to get out to the beach at sunset and share such an event with our mostly mask-wearing neighbors.
You went all the way to Florida to see it? :biggrin:

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
South Jersey viewing was obscured by clouds also. Hope to see it tonight.
For me it's the opportunity to see something that I will never see again.
Kind of like enjoying today because I'll never see this one again. :biggrin:

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
South Jersey viewing was obscured by clouds also. Hope to see it tonight.
For me it's the opportunity to see something that I will never see again.
Kind of like enjoying today because I'll never see this one again. :biggrin:
Yep, that's what Bill Murray said. :cowbell:

• Ha