Jupiter-Saturn Conjunction is December 21

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Hi all,
The astronomical event of the past four centuries will occur on December 21, the winter solstice. Jupiter and Saturn will align relative to our Earth view to within about 0.1 deg of arc, the closest since 1623, astronomers say. Got a preview of it last night. Look to the southwestern sky following sunset to see a bright Jupiter and a smaller, dimmer, Saturn very near and slightly above. It’s worth a look. We may take the boat out Monday night for a clear view. Apparently, Earthlings won’t see ‘em this close again until 2080. Get your 10-yr-old grand kids out there and maybe they will be among the few who see this degree of proximity twice in a lifetime.;)
KG

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
We are enjoying the La Nina Pineapple Express rain fall waiting of the creeks to breach their banks so I and go kayaking on the old golf course behind my house.

Sky viewing unlikely.

• Wow
Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
If you have an iPhone or iPad here’s an App you can download for free and pretend you have seen the conjunction.
I use it to spot the ISS periodically.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
If you have an iPhone or iPad here’s an App you can download for free and pretend you have seen the conjunction.
Thanks for the link @BlowMeAway
That is fun. Seems you can also point your phone down and see stars on the other side of earth ... it’s like having X-ray vision.. lol

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I understand that the druids are pissed that they can't celebrate their annual pagan ritual at Stonehenge due to the Covid closure

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
This influenced my purchase of the Nikon Coolpix P900

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
You mean to say that an
annual pagan ritual at Stonehenge
is not an essential activity. How we going to keep the planet in balance?
This is a serious issue for believers.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
You mean to say that an

is not an essential activity. How we going to keep the planet in balance?
This is a serious issue for believers.
I think SCOTUS recently ruled that it is [essential], or at least it would be here. We’re going out in the dink early evening to see the conjunction and tour the Christmas lights in the Naples canals. Expected to be only about 63 deg F at viewing time. No rain, no snow, no clouds; little wind!:biggrin:

Last edited:
  • Wow

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
Not here. Wet, clouds, snow, and fog. You name it we can shut it down.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Clear skies here in South Florida - so maybe I won''t have to live to 145.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I saw the “star” last night...not the most optimal day, but it was clear at sunset, unlike today...

I don’t think I will make the next one ;-(.

Greg

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
Not gonna see anything tonight. Heavy cloud cover and light snow. Hate to miss the Bethlehem Star, but I can pretend i did.
Apparently the Hubble telescope is nearing too.
F4D5F897-A037-4DE6-85A2-C37A68F510C5.jpeg