Juniors Day

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Since moving to FL I haven't had much to do with sailing or for that matter the water. Today I had my first RC experience for a High School Regatta hosted by the USSC Martin County. I'd been offering to help out on RC since last Spring. But most of their events occur in the season - which is Winter. So I was assigned to the Mark Boat. I thought that's easy enough. In NY we would set a mark, maybe, or use government marks. Drop a mark or two and watch the race. No, it wasn't that way here and it was eye opening. Our "Club" in NY didn't do juniors so I guess I was in the dark about it. As most of you probably know they run as many races as possible. Marks were drifting in the 18 knot breeze and 1-2 foot waves. Additionally, the PRO wanted a short finish line so we had to move the pin from the start position to the finish position for every race. Meanwhile we were trying to keep an eye on the kiddies who were tipping over all over the place. Kudos to organizers for have 2 or 3 chase boats on the water all the time. But still on the Mark Boat we had to fill in at times. We got five races in before the kids were getting physically tired. Thank the Lord they got tired because I wasn't sure how many more races I had in me. But all in all a success. I met some nice people and have broken the ice, sort of speak, in a new area.
And how about those kids? Amazing. I would have hit the beach after one capsize. They hung pretty tough for five races and seemed to have a pretty good time. Some of them just weren't big enough physically to right their boats. But they wouldn't give up. My hopes for the future of sailing were brightened a bit today.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Why are the marks drifting? Giving yourself job security by staying busy, or are you trying to get moved off the mark boat? Kids are used to righting after a capsize and continuing - especially in a team race. Getting out to help is a great way to meet people and make new friends.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I think the marks were moving due to the light anchor. It was windy and I think they just dragged on the bottom. The anchor lines are only 8-10 feet in water depths around 6. I have job security. This is what they look like:

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
... and if you gave more scope, the centerboards would catch on it. Tough scene. Maybe you should use poles instead of buoys?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
In my former sailing RC experience, we used a double anchor. We would tie a second anchor a few feet below the buoy on the rode which would make the rode hang straight down to that anchor. That made less chance of keels catching the mark. They don't do that here - mostly because the depth of around six feet makes it impractical.
I'm way not senior enough to change their methods and it seems to work for them.