Journey’s End

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
Once I realized that grinding my way through 950 nautical miles of Florida just so I could spend ten minutes in Key West collecting the tee shirt for having cruised the entire east coast was silly, I’ve been thinking of Saint Mary’s as the end of the journey south. I spent quite a bit of time in southern Florida during my working days and I remember thinking that I didn’t have much desire to cruise there. I’m now half way between Key West and Oriental where I was nearly six weeks ago and the page after page of straight line ditch I see ahead in my chart book makes the wild islands and empty beaches I just passed through seem a lot more attractive.

I may go on into Florida a bit, especially after just hearing from my first employee (after 20 years) who now works at a shipyard in Jacksonville. However, any further southing I’ll be thinking of as a cruise in itself from here to there and back. I’ve arrived and I had that same feeling of anticipation the night before leaving the Brickhill River and same sense of accomplishment walking around this neat little town last night as if it was the final objective all along.

The seals on my raw water pump have been weeping since Canada and finally turned into a full leak covering the front of the engine with a frosting and stalactites of salt. A rebuild kit arrives tomorrow so I’ll go back down the river a few miles to Saint Marys Boat Service where I’ll have the water pump rebuilt and take a look around for anything else that needs attending to before I turn around.

The bugs are a factor. The vicious attack I just experienced going out to adjust my anchor lines and the knowledge that the cold temperatures I was quite comfortable in have killed them just 2-3 days north is an incentive to turn around. If a cold snap doesn’t make its way this far south fairly soon, I’m likely to do that. Onset of more normal weather, with frequent cold (by local standards) blustery periods, cold could also make further southing attractive. I’m in wait and see mode and just hanging out in Saint Mary’s, GA. Well, I’m actually in Florida at the moment, by about fifteen feet according to the GPS.[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37 C sloop Punta Gorda FL
Hang on Roger, another cold front is coming, maybe 3 in the next week.

Apr 22, 2001
Hunter 420 Norfolk, VA
CONGRATULATIONS, RODGER ....

And, as Frank Sanatra would say ...
" I did it MYYYY wayyyy ..."

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Congrats, Roger ! Quite a journey. I was showing Susan where you are yesterday on the Spot site.. She said that it was quite a ways from Portland ! I have to agree !

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Well the Bahamas are right across the street. got passport?

Jun 28, 2005
Hunter H33 2004 Mumford Cove,CT & Block Island
The bugs are a factor

One of my St Marys friends (originally from New England), said if it wasn't for the bugs, they would be overrun by Northerners.

Be careful Roger, several boats and their people came to St Marys to visit, and are still there years later.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
A Must

You must visit east coast of ICW of Florida and at least the Keys is a must for sure,you have come so far and really should visit more of Florida for our warmer weather than up north with colder and maybe ice or snow would keep me in warmer Florida even with expected cold fronts.
Nick

Jun 28, 2005
How about taking the Okeechobee Waterway to the west coast and you won't even have to do the “Okeechobee Limbo”.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
You must visit east coast of ICW of Florida and at least the Keys is a must for sure,
Persuade me. I'm free as the wind and can change my mind. All I see on the chart (except for the Canaveral area which looks interesting) is lots of ditch and more shallow bays with a narrow navigable channel but all with many more houses and powerboats.

Warm isn't a big draw for me. I'm actually more comfortable when it's cool enough to run my cabin heater all day and have a nice dry boat with hot water. I like wild places and there are a lot I want to explore more completely on the return.

Besides, I really don't need this kind of sh!t:

http://cruisersnet.net/important-bo...between-new-smyrna-beach-and-mosquito-lagoon/

If I go down into Florida, I risk getting in a situation where I'm racing back north to stay ahead of the spring thunderstorm season and get back in time to return to Canada.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
How about taking the Okeechobee Waterway to the west coast and you won't even have to do the “Okeechobee Limbo”.
Is the railroad bridge at Port Myakka not there anymore? I believe the clearance was 50'.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Keys

The Keys are very interesting for sure and you have a few months before the thunderstorms start in Florida.
Our PGSC is planning a south cruise to the keys and upper keys this April and I can't wait.
The railroad bridge is 49 I think and yes still there last I heard or I would be making that trip with good water depth for sure.
Nick

Apr 19, 1999
Pearson Wanderer Titusville, Florida
A little arm twisting

Persuade me. I'm free as the wind and can change my mind. All I see on the chart (except for the Canaveral area which looks interesting) is lots of ditch and more shallow bays with a narrow navigable channel but all with many more houses and powerboats.

Warm isn't a big draw for me. I'm actually more comfortable when it's cool enough to run my cabin heater all day and have a nice dry boat with hot water. I like wild places and there are a lot I want to explore more completely on the return.

Besides, I really don't need this kind of sh!t:

http://cruisersnet.net/important-bo...between-new-smyrna-beach-and-mosquito-lagoon/

If I go down into Florida, I risk getting in a situation where I'm racing back north to stay ahead of the spring thunderstorm season and get back in time to return to Canada.
Hi Roger. As mentioned earlier, I think a short transit down the coast from St. Mary's to Mayport/Jacksonville or St. Augustine is easy. There's no reason to stay in the ditch, just wait for the wind to veer west like it did earlier today and go about two to three miles out where you'll be in the lee of the shore and seas should be moderate. There won't be any bugs out there either but you may see some shrimp boats. It's a little late in the year for the whale migration.

Another cold front is due Friday with temps in the high 40's the way you like it. Here's a link to the seven-day forecast at Mayport:
http://www.sailflow.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=212&siteID=380&Isection=Forecast+Graphs

The St. Johns River is a far cry from the ICW. Google "Rudder Club Mug Race" and check out the photos. If you go to Jax, both Green Cove Springs and St. Augustine are an hour's drive away, and you can get to the Space Coast (Titusville/Cape Canaveral) in about two hours. Several large, clear springs are nearby, many of them are full of manatees because they're now warmer than the coastal waters and rivers. I hope that was persuasive enough.

Peter Suah

Apr 19, 1999
Pearson Wanderer Titusville, Florida
The Keys are very interesting for sure and you have a few months before the thunderstorms start in Florida.
Our PGSC is planning a south cruise to the keys and upper keys this April and I can't wait.
The railroad bridge is 49 I think and yes still there last I heard or I would be making that trip with good water depth for sure.
Nick
I need to get down there myself. That's the best time of year to cruise the Keys.

Apr 22, 2001
Hunter 420 Norfolk, VA
Well, Rodg,

Most people don't start heading back North till maybe March, so you've got another 6 weeks or so to hang out.
If you decide to explore a bit ...
there's a nice anchorage opposite the Fernandina City Marina, and a lot of people think Fernandina is a really nice place to ck out.
The run from Fernandina to Jax is, IMHO, not real great, but I believe there are a couple places, just before you get to the St Johns R., that are decent anchorages.
From the St John's R to St Augustine there is are several nice anchorages south of the land cut (just south of Jax Beach), on the Tolomato River
(like the Pine Isl anchorage)... and St Augustine is worth checking out.
You might even be able to anchor near, and dingy up to, the San Sabastian Winery for their free tour and wine tasting !!
South of St Augustine the water way is reasonably straight and easy to run ... with good anchorages, ie near Ft Matanzas, just past New Smyrna Beach... and the Titusville area is a good stop ..
AND , there's the St Johns River. down to Green Springs Cove to ck out ....
If you get bored, go exploring, ... I think you'll find North Fla nicer, and more interesting, than you're thinking it will be.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Go East Young Man

Roger,
Head East past the Bahamas, take a right turn and go down to the Dominican Republic, or St. Thomas, or St. Johns. St. Johns has some nice moorings in front of deserted beaches. You will be very happy there and then you can come back in March. By April the Carolinas are in the 70's again. Make sure you go to Cape Lookout on your return trip.

Jun 28, 2005
Follow your heart, follow your nose, follow the wind, take it day by day, flip a coin, play it by ear, etc., etc., etc..

"Powerboaters use their speed to get where they want to go quickly, sailboaters are already there."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.