Joker Valve

Apr 27, 2010
Beneteau 352 Hull #276 Ontario
I replaced my joker valve May 2016 with a brand new Jabsco unit.
I now have back flow after using the head 4 times.
I removed the joker valve and the attached picture is what was seen.
Can anyone explain what happened?
The fins are curved instead of straight.
No Chemicals were used.
No Toilet paper used.
No solids.
I have no clue except paying $22 again!

Attachments

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I used to get that, too. Jabsco. I attributed it to the suction on the pumpout boat overwhelming the system, as it happened more than once, though I didn't know exactly why.. I upped the vent to 1.25, and have not had that problem since. Have you been flushing with hot water? I keep a spare joker so I can show the crew how small the "business" end of the toilet works.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I had a PM this morning from someone else with a similar story. He went shopping for a new Jabsco joker valve, could see daylight through the slits in every single one on the boat shelves. Which is not surprising from a company who now makes everything in Mexico with parts and components ( which would include joker valves) sourced from China and similar sources. Raritan joker valves are top rated and interchangeable with Jabsco. You should only have it every year if you have a manual toilet, every couple of years if an electric toilet.

Apr 27, 2010
I used to get that, too. Jabsco. I attributed it to the suction on the pumpout boat overwhelming the system, as it happened more than once, though I didn't know exactly why.. I upped the vent to 1.25, and have not had that problem since. Have you been flushing with hot water? I keep a spare joker so I can show the crew how small the "business" end of the toilet works.
Since I use the head very little I haven't had a pump out since the new valve. Nope, did not use hot water. I can see where you might think the hot water distorted the fins.

Apr 27, 2010
I had a PM this morning from someone else with a similar story. He went shopping for a new Jabsco joker valve, could see daylight through the slits in every single one on the boat shelves. Which is not surprising from a company who now makes everything in Mexico with parts and components ( which would include joker valves) sourced from China and similar sources. Raritan joker valves are top rated and interchangeable with Jabsco. You should only have it every year if you have a manual toilet, every couple of years if an electric toilet.
Thanks Peggie, I'll look for a Raritan supplier locally. Maybe it will make a difference. I sure don't want to be changing it out 2 to 3 times a year as it's not a job I look forward to.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I put the Raritan joker in my Jabsco a year or two ago. I got the red one (not the black), mainly so the next time I open the pump I'll know it's not a Jabsco. I think Peggy said the latest ones are black?