Johnson/Evinrude 1993-95 9.9/15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
Reading about an O'DAY 25 owner's problems as he commisioned his Diesel brought to mind a problem that we had this past week with the 1993 JOHNSON 9.9hp outboard on our little powerboat. It should serve as a warning to anyone the has a 1993-95 model 9.9 or 15 (2-stroke) outboard on their boat. The top mount for the engine, what connects the top of hte mounting/pivot bracket to the main body of the engine, consists of 2 aluminum "blocks" located inside the mid-section of the engine. These are kind of buried near the top, just under the powerhead. My dad was approaching the mooring and when he went to shift into neutral, it was just enough force to snap both of the upper mounts, luckily the lower mount somewhat restrained the engine and he shut everthing down before more damage could happen (including bending the shift-rod that connects the upper and lower parts of the engine). The 2 mounts, which are aluminum castings, had corroded to the point of being brittle and just cracked apart.

We operate in saltwater, and it is possible that freshwater affects these parts less...but this should serve as a warning to inspect these parts if you outboard is among those model years. I checked the 4-stroke models of that vintage (8-15hp), they have a different mount design, that appears to be much better. The big problem (other than the difficulty of inspecting the mounts) is that the parts are no longer available. 1996 and newer models seem to have a different mount design, based on the fact that the part# is different and is available for those years. I also checked the design on 1992 and older engines, basically the same as the 1993-95 models, different part# for the mounts....... and get this, they ARE still available. Seems like OMC came up with an "improvement" for 1993 that wasn't a true improvement, but a step back?

We ended up trading in our 1993 JOHNSON 9.9 for a "freshwater" 1997 EVINRUDE 9.9hp. Price was right, and we only lost a week's use of the boat.
Below I have posted a picture of the mounts on the 9.9/15 they are "sealed" but still subject to the effects of a steamy, damp enviroment.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
That's always good to know Rod. I have a 1999 Johnson 2 stroke 8hp long shaft outboard which is being serviced right now by a guy in Rehoboth. I'll never bring my outboard to Slip's again.

Jun 2, 2004
Joe, is that guy out near the South fire Station? I ask because if so, that was who my Dad bought our "new" 1997 9.9 Evinrude from. Dad says that the guy works out of his house, and was pretty good to deal with. We linked up with him through a friend of one of our neighbors in Wareham.
My experience with the design of your 8 HP has been positive, J/E used basically the same mount design, cowling ,and lower-unit on the 1981 4.5 and 1989 4DLX that we had, and I once tore apart a 1985 6HP Sailmaster that was underwater during "Bob" in 1991. The mounts were fine.

I've visited Slip's before and almost bought a little 1990 Johnson COLT when I was shopping for a new outboard for my Widgeon back in 1992. I ended up ordering a 1992 2.3hp from what was then Warr's Marine in Wareham (price was slightly less than Slip's and I really felt better buying from the place that I would be using for any repairs.)

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Joe, is that guy out near the South fire Station? I ask because if so, that was who my Dad bought our "new" 1997 9.9 Evinrude from. Dad says that the guy works out of his house, and was pretty good to deal with. We linked up with him through a friend of one of our neighbors in Wareham.
My experience with the design of your 8 HP has been positive, J/E used basically the same mount design, cowling ,and lower-unit on the 1981 4.5 and 1989 4DLX that we had, and I once tore apart a 1985 6HP Sailmaster that was underwater during "Bob" in 1991. The mounts were fine.

I've visited Slip's before and almost bought a little 1990 Johnson COLT when I was shopping for a new outboard for my Widgeon back in 1992. I ended up ordering a 1992 2.3hp from what was then Warr's Marine in Wareham (price was slightly less than Slip's and I really felt better buying from the place that I would be using for any repairs.)
His name is Jerry Dias and he lives on Summer street not far from the golf course. He works out of his house but I think his son is also a marine engine mechanic up the Cape. He seems to be a square shooter and he knows his stuff.
My 1999 Johnson longshaft 8 hp is Model # J8RXEEM. I called him this afternoon and he said that he was going to pull the power head off this afternoon.

I bought that engine new at Slip's. I think you made the right move by dealing with Warr's Marine. I really miss that guy who ran Berwick Marine. He had a great reputation. I should have known better than to take my engine to Slip's. Coulda,woulda, shoulda, but didn't. Too late now.

There's a guy in Halifax that's supposed to be really good at fixing marine engines. One of the guys in my club swears by him.

ldube

May 4, 2012
O'Day 25 & Daysailer 3 Westport, Massachusetts
This season I found a 2000 Johnson 8.0 long shaft 2 stroke which runs like a top. First day out we motored from Mattapoisett harbor to Westport YC on the river.

Thanks for the advise. I'll be certain to be on the lookout.

Leo

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
This season I found a 2000 Johnson 8.0 long shaft 2 stroke which runs like a top. First day out we motored from Mattapoisett harbor to Westport YC on the river.

Thanks for the advise. I'll be certain to be on the lookout.

Leo
Leo,
It's a great engine and it's very reliable. I have a 1999 Johnson long shaft 8 hp. If it ever stops pumping water or appears to be blocked, the first thing to check is that outlet hole. The second thing to check is the thermostat even before checking the waterpump impeller. Don't ever let it get overheated. Just shut it down and take it to a reputable mechanic.
Joe

Jun 2, 2004
I can offer one other bit of advice. If anyone has a 1979-83 Johnson/Evinrude 4.5, 1980-83 J/E 7.5, 1984-later J/E 6 or 8 hp, or 1986-95 J/E 4DLX and is having trouble where the engine has no power unless you remove the cowling lid. Check the grommet that seals the shift-rod where it comes out just above the lower-unit and below the swivel bracket ( steering pivot), if that grommet wears out and is lost, exhaust will escape through the hole and choke the engine........ yeah, I know...it sounds weird, but it happened to our 1981 Johnson 4.5 and a 222 owner (not Joe!) with a Johnson 6 had the same problem. He couldn't get over how he had overlooked such a simple cause....but was sure glad to know what to fix!

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.