Johnson Boat Works SM 6 Scow

Jul 20, 2021
Johnson Boat Works SM 6 Smithville Lake
I recently purchased a 1977 JBW 16 ft scow. As I started doing some research I learned that JBW went out of business in 1998. Sold to Melges. I'm reaching out here to see if anyone owns a JBW so I can bounce off a few questions I have about the boat. Let me know! Thanks!

IMG_4195.jpg

Jul 20, 2021
Thanks - I actually did yesterday. They didn't have any information on JBW boats. Kind of surprised since JBW was in business for just over 100 years.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
That looks like an MC scow. The “SM“ painted on the deck is more than likely the home club Where it sailed. The MC is a one design class. Both Johnson and Melges were the builders, but Melges seemed to be the predominant. Johnson Boat Works was located in White Bear Lake Minnesota, and Melges in Zenda Wisconsin.

Correction: That might be an M16- the MC had single tiller, that boat has a double tiller.

Jul 20, 2021
Thanks! I was wondering about the SM and what it stood for. I'll do some more research on the M16.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
What are your questions? I'd bet you will get some good answers regardless of boat ownership.

Jul 20, 2021
Ya good idea - I have questions about the rigging. I thought I knew how to sail but this thing is like a race car with all the various rigging options. I'll post some pics later and ask specifics. Thanks!

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Nice looking boat! I hope your abs are in shape. I sailed a C-Scow years ago. A single race was like an hour of intense sit-ups! I think I was too busy trying to keep the boat flat to learn much about the trimming! But if I knew more about sail trim in those days, maybe I wouldn't have had to work so hard trying to keep the boat flat. :facepalm:

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I used to sail scows in the mid west. Don't know your specific boat. But hey ask away... All good!

dj

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
Scows are super fast downwind, plane very easily, upwind is more of a struggle you heel them over to minimize wetted area. Does this have a trapeze? Another level of fun