John G. Alden Rendezvous at Mystic Seaport Museum 2018

Nov 6, 2009
Friends and fellow Alden Lovers,

I am currently working with two Board members of the Mystic Seaport Museum to organize a rendezvous of classic wooden and glass Alden designed boats. I have suggested the summer of 2018 in order to organize a great event and to allow time for all of you freshion up your bright work and make arrangements to bring your boats and you energy to eastern Connecticut. We have also been in contact with the MIT library to bring drawings and other John G. Alden memorabilia to the new Thompsom exhibit hall at the seaport. I have the promise of the Stonington Harbor Yacht Club Race Committe to host a race on Fishers Island Sound and we will have the run of the Museum after hours for a group dinner with entertainment. Our boats will of course be the stars of the show. Just sorry Neils couldn't join us.

Please let me know if joining this event is of interest. Also, please let other Alden owners know of these plans. I would really be great to finally get to meet many of you.

Nov 6, 2009
And I have Truely enjoyed reading about your exploits and expertise aboard Aeolus. Guess I just need 20 more years to achieve your level of seamanship.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Scott, I'd be very interested in an Alden rendezvous. Keep us posted on progress.

DÖS

May 13, 2017
Alden 44 RI
Scott, my wife and I just purchased a 1990 Alden 44. We'd also be interested in an Alden rendezvous in Mystic next year.
Don

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
The 2018 Alden Yachts rendezvous at Mystic Seaport, is a GO!
Cropped gradient filter 1600.jpg

July 2018 - 26, 27 and 28.

Scott Kraft, owner of the Alden Caravelle, BOUNDING HOME, has set the date and details with the people at Mystic Seaport. The Classic Yacht Owners Association, the group that was going to sponsor the event, has bowed out. This means John Alden will be the featured designer at the event.

Scott is working with the director to put together promotional material for the event. They are looking for any John Alden boat photos. Soon, we'll have a link available, for registration.

Registration fee: $ 75 Includes dockage at the Seaport for Friday, Saturday and Sunday evening.

The Seaport will set aside their CCA room for the event to display John Alden design photos, half models and actual Alden craft they have. This will also be used for any Alden event we may come up with.

Scott has reserved space at the nearby Stonington Harbor Yacht Club, to host our group on Thursday evening(25th). Moorings are also available nearby at Dodson's Boatyard.

More details to follow... The main thing now is to get the word out. John Alden designs - that span over a century - vary in size from massive schooners, like the WHEN and IF, to small day sailers(the North Haven Dinghy below).

We hope to contact many Alden owners, and we need help.
Northhaven Dinghy (1 of 1).jpg

Last edited: