John Alden Co. of Boston drew up design # 989 for Pearson Yachts in 1964. The result was the Pearson Countess 44.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Beautiful lines.
:clap:

-Will (Dragonfly)
It is a pretty design, especially (I think) the sheer. The ports in the house, referred to as "double D" and Jaguar (cars which had a similar window shape in that design time slot), almost seem oversized, but they give the boat it's uniqe dated character.

An owner of a Countess in a Classic Plastic group I belong to redesigned his ports. That owner is a very accomplished artist so he obviously has "the eye".

I find his modification an improvement - if subtle. At any rate that must have been a lengthy project to tackle.

Below is that modified Countess:

Joseoh's Countess.jpg

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
What grabs my eye are the long overhangs. They do look dated. Nevertheless they add a sense of grace and probably contributed to a comfortable ride in seas.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
We doubled up with one on a mooring in Vero Beach last winter. The owner was from Vermont and we spent many evenings solving the nation’s problems.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@TomY I like her lines. Her Pilot house look has similarities to my Cal35Cruiser. What he did with the windows is intriguing. Has me wondering how?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
we spent many evenings solving the nation’s problems.
Oh yes. I've had plenty of evenings like that. If it weren't for all those people, I don't know who they are, I've never meet them, who seem to spend their evenings causing the problems, I think, with all the people solving them over cocktails in the evening, we should have them all be solved by now.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
The Columbia 40 by Charlie Morgan has similar sheer and long overhangs. The Countess shown has a flush deck which the Columbia doesn't. They are of similar vintage. Columbia built 55 of the 40's.
We had another Columbia (I'm thinking 36) in our fleet. It had a flush deck and small doghouse. That's why I was looking on SD.com. It was painted black. We called it Darth Vador. The owner was a colorful character and you'd see the boat all over the Peconics but never at a dock. Rumors were that he had good reason to keep moving. It was a bad *ss looking boat.