Joe - The old fuzzy faced Captain of the "Trinkka"

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 22, 2004
Oday 23 Bullock's Cove, RI
Joe - We were out on Narrangansett bay 2 weekends ago just of Warwick Point ..... I know there are some rocks there but when I saw this rock I tacked away thinking ... what the heck - I don't remember seeing that before. It was just below the lighthouse.

Anyway tacked again when it looked as if the rock was actually a shark fin...

But wait .... no its something else floating in the water ... Tacked back and got close and it was a dolphin! It was dead and the smell was pretty awful. We were one of a number of boats that "investigated" this.

Did you hear anything about a dead dolphin in the lower bay? I looked but did not see anything on the local news or ....

What a suprise.

Sailed around Hog on Sunday.

WHen will you pull Trinkka?

James

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Joe - We were out on Narrangansett bay 2 weekends ago just of Warwick Point ..... I know there are some rocks there but when I saw this rock I tacked away thinking ... what the heck - I don't remember seeing that before. It was just below the lighthouse.

Anyway tacked again when it looked as if the rock was actually a shark fin...

But wait .... no its something else floating in the water ... Tacked back and got close and it was a dolphin! It was dead and the smell was pretty awful. We were one of a number of boats that "investigated" this.

Did you hear anything about a dead dolphin in the lower bay? I looked but did not see anything on the local news or ....

What a suprise.

Sailed around Hog on Sunday.

WHen will you pull Trinkka?

James
Ahoy there, James!
A dead dolphin? In Narragansett Bay? Who da thunk it!!! :D
Actually, I think it was back in the 1990s because my wife was cruising with me back then and she saw this. We anchored in a place called the "Creek" which is on the Bristol Harbor side of Hog Island and we walked part of the East Passage side of the island and came across a dead dolphin laying on the beach. I remember reading about it back then in the papers after that.
I didn't read anything or hear any news lately about a dead dolphin out in your area. Maybe no one has reported it yet. Nothing really surprises me about any of those waters including Mount Hope Bay and the Taunton River. One of the guys in my club caught a miniature barracuda in the river last year. They sited a Terrapin several years ago in Broad Cove next to our club. Years ago, I took my brother Bobby out on my boat and we were out by the Spar Islands and I saw a fish that was almost the size of my boat. I thought that it may have been one of those giant sunfish that you hear about. Bob didn't see it but I sure did, and boy was it huge. I think that we're going to see a lot more species of fish and wildlife in our area that we have never seen before. We have Fisher cats in our area of Taunton now. I won't be surprised to see moose pretty soon.
I pulled Trinkka out of the water about three weeks ago, and last Saturday I took her off the trailer in my yard and put her on boat stands. I do a little each day on account of this old Geezer gets tired out and fast don't sha know. Today I put the trailer up on blocks to get the wheels off the ground and I wrapped the mast with polytarp so my main tarp won't chafe on it when I get ready to cover the boat.
If the Blue fish came up the river and blitzed the waters in their usual feeding frenzy, I would have left her in the water for a couple of more weeks, but it never happened. Last year was the same way. Outside of that, I like doing overnighters on the boat and it's just too cold at night for that. As I grow older I detest the cold. It's nice to know that you're still out enjoying your boat this late in the season.
Smooth Sailing &
Warmest Regards,
Joe

Attachments

estopa

Feb 27, 2008
Oday 222 Milford, CT
So Joe, do you powerwash the boat now that its out of the water? I have till Nov 1 to pull mine out. I was going to powerwash the topsides and bottom before putting it away for the winter.

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
So Joe, do you powerwash the boat now that its out of the water? I have till Nov 1 to pull mine out. I was going to powerwash the topsides and bottom before putting it away for the winter.
Yes. In fact I power washed the bottom when I brought it home but it really doesn't take that embedded dirt out of the paint and I'm afraid that it might remove the paint. Next spring I'll use 60 grit sand paper on a sanding block at the end of a long stick to sand that dirt out. Then I'll paint over the old stuff. The boat is all ready for the 30' polytarp. I'll blow all the pine needles off it with my air compressor first, then I'll cover it for her long winter's slumber. In the last pic you'll notice that my keel boards are way over to the left hand side of the trailer. The two clamps that I used to hold the boards to the cross members can be loosened to allow me to do this. Having that open space in the center of the trailer between the cross members plays an important role in being able to take my boat off my trailer. Next year this process is going to be a whole lot faster and easier to do. It's still a dangerous process no matter which way you do it though, but the boat is easier to paint on boat stands than on the trailer.
Joe

Attachments

estopa

Feb 27, 2008
Oday 222 Milford, CT
Ok, that's good to know. I was thinking of just quickly power-washing before putting away for the winter. I didn't want to spend all that time scrubbing and detailing. This year I put on a coat of that SSB paint from Florida. Didn't you do the same? Or do you paint every year?

My boat seems held up with the bottom paint pretty good but then I can only see maybe 6" below the water line. Although I do see some brown growth. I also have that brown stuff above the water line like yourself. Which pisses me off because I spent 2 days polishing the topsides before splashing. I guess I'll have to chalk it up to an every year maintenance item.

As for the trailer, I have 2 of them. One is the original one and also have one for another boat I was considering buying which was full keel cal 20 but didn't do it because of draft issues. The trailer was used by the PO to transport a 22 Catalina fin keel.

Which actually brings up another concern. I was going to use the trailer meant for full keel to store the 222 so I can work on the centerboard. I think either one wedge is missing or not in very good shape because I hear the CB bouncing left to right all the time. I did see some posts of yours where folks had to remove and perform some maintenance on the centerboard. I'll use those to navigate my fix.

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Ok, that's good to know. I was thinking of just quickly power-washing before putting away for the winter. I didn't want to spend all that time scrubbing and detailing. This year I put on a coat of that SSB paint from Florida. Didn't you do the same? Yes, I did George. Or do you paint every year? I haven't been painting every year, but I may repaint her again next spring because I ran aground twice this past summer and I must have scraped some of the bottom paint off my keel as well as my centerboard. I'm not really sure. I still have about a 1/4 of a can of bottom paint from last year. I'll either touch up the bottom, or I'll order another gallon and do the whole thing again. Wayne does his every year.

My boat seems held up with the bottom paint pretty good but then I can only see maybe 6" below the water line. Although I do see some brown growth. I also have that brown stuff above the water line like yourself. Which pisses me off because I spent 2 days polishing the topsides before splashing. I guess I'll have to chalk it up to an every year maintenance item. Welcome to the club. My whole hull is covered with that brown grime.

As for the trailer, I have 2 of them. One is the original one and also have one for another boat I was considering buying which was full keel cal 20 but didn't do it because of draft issues. The trailer was used by the PO to transport a 22 Catalina fin keel. That other trailer may come in handy some day. The original trailer may go sooner than you think. Take a peek at the under side of the cross members to see if there are any rusted holes in them when you get a chance.

Which actually brings up another concern. I was going to use the trailer meant for full keel to store the 222 so I can work on the centerboard. I think either one wedge is missing or not in very good shape because I hear the CB bouncing left to right all the time. I did see some posts of yours where folks had to remove and perform some maintenance on the centerboard. I'll use those to navigate my fix. If you can either raise your boat high enough, or slide the boat back enough to look at the bottom of the keel, you'll be able to see the wedges. I think that half the problem is getting the boat in a position to work under the keel. I'm glad I have my own sailboat stands. Some guys are able to do it without them, but the stands along with the 6"X6" blocks make it a whole lot easier.
I just covered my boat up this morning and she's all set for the winter.

estopa

Feb 27, 2008
Oday 222 Milford, CT
Thanks Joe, I still plan on having her one more week on the water. I will miss not going out this winter but then again its been cold out there and hunting season is been calling me already.

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Thanks Joe, I still plan on having her one more week on the water. I will miss not going out this winter but then again its been cold out there and hunting season is been calling me already.
Don't mention it George. It was my pleasure.
I've done a lot of hunting and fishing. It was always a big part of my heritage growing up in a rural area. Right now I'm using my kayak in the local rivers and Penny has been going along with me. We pull the kayak ashore into the heart of the forests and hike the many paths. I've always been into survival and woods lore. Here's a nice site for you. http://www.youtube.com/user/wildernessoutfitters
Enjoy!
Joe

estopa

Feb 27, 2008
Oday 222 Milford, CT
Well she got hauled yesterday. Man that SSB paint is the shi$t. Just scrubbed a little and that brown stuff came off pretty good. Well with the trailer I have now I can easily work on the centerboard and glad I can. I noticed a serious amount of play and to top it off there was some damage in back of it like the PO may have backed into something because in a couple of places there was missing chunks. I'll have to post pics later.

Also noticed the pendant was only knotted on so its not the original Centerboard Pendant. Probably just some rope tied to the centerboard.

Well I am going to make an inventory soon and put a listing of small fixes for the winter. DR marine is going to see a lot of business from me this year. ;)

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
I would remove the centerboard and place it in a warm place for the winter George. If there's any moisture in it, it will be gone by the spring. Go very easy with the bolts that hold the plates so that they don't break on you. I would use an impact type cordless electric drill with a Phillips bit in it to remove the bolts If they get stuck halfway out, just use WD-40 and go in reverse and forward until they are free. A hair drier to heat up the wedges and or the fillet knife and putty knife works in cutting through the caulking that holds the wedges. A blow torch to heat these blades works even better. Use a good epoxy for the repairs and you'll be all set for next year.
Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.