Joaquin Prep?

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
For storms you would want to have long dock line runs to allow for surge and ebb range. It would be best to have them a little slack too, and tied off on the dock so they can be adjusted by the marina crew. just general rules, conditions vary.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
We're basically along a long bulkhead with my bow pointed north into the prevailing wind for the next several days. Pilings at my rear quarters are tight so my lines are necessarily tight at the aft cleats. My bow points in to the bulkhead and I have longer lines to the pilings on the bulkhead where we are able to spread out. We have no finger pier, just short little wedges on one side of the bow. What I feel good about is that the bow points into the parking lot and we are deep into a lagoon, so there will be no wind driven waves.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
.... It would be best to have them a little slack too, and tied off on the dock so they can be adjusted by the marina crew. just general rules, conditions vary.
During Isabelle, the water was 30 inches deep on the promenade- 6 inches over the dockboxes! Trying to get to the docklines on the bulkhead cleat was near impossible. Best bet, have slack at both ends.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
You slack the dock lines before the water surges, and tighten the dock lines as the water ebbs. If you can't tend them best to run them long to give more range of motion while controlling boat location.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
We're basically along a long bulkhead with my bow pointed north into the prevailing wind for the next several days. Pilings at my rear quarters are tight so my lines are necessarily tight at the aft cleats. My bow points in to the bulkhead and I have longer lines to the pilings on the bulkhead where we are able to spread out. We have no finger pier, just short little wedges on one side of the bow. What I feel good about is that the bow points into the parking lot and we are deep into a lagoon, so there will be no wind driven waves.
I assume that your stern docklines are crossed to the opposite side of the boat. That should put you in good shape. You can expect a 180 degree wind shift as the storm passes, all storm-force winds. Fenders needed.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
We were anchored at Sandy Hook waiting for a window to go down the coast. Never came. So we ducked into Great Kills Harbor. But that was prior to the hurricane forecast. It was for the strong NE winds that are coming later today through Sunday.

We took down the solar panels and folded up the bimini, took off the cockpit cushions, the life sling, etc. We wrapped the spare jib halyard around the furled headsail. The mainsail is lashed to the boom. The dingy is in the water, tied to the dock and partially filled with water to make it heavier. The kayak is strapped to the cabin top. We left the dodger up because it protects us from rain getting in and out.

We feel comfortable with this setup for winds forecasted to be 50-60 knots, gusts into the low 70s. We have ridden out a couple of tropical storms, nor'easters and blizzards in similar setups.

Woke up this morning at 4 am and checked Windguru and Windfinder. Both had forecasted winds for Sunday into Monday at 110 kts! The path had shifted more east then it was when we went to bed. Watched the early morning news and saw that the current NHC model has it headed dead at us. The EURO model (which they can't publish the track of but can describe) still has it going out to sea. Many of the pros believe this to be the best. Mike's Weather Page is our go to on tropical stuff. (www.spaghettimodels.com) He believes that the EURO model is going to be the more accurate and the 11:00 NHC model will track further east.

So our plan is to check the 11:00 models and if it's still heading towards us we are pulling the sails this afternoon. The problem we have is the strong NE winds that come in tonight will make pulling the sails difficult after today. We will also look into a hotel and getting the boat hauled. But I am unsure if we would be better off on the hard. We definitely couldn't get the mast pulled here. So we would be on the hard with the mast up. If the mast is up, I think I would be better off in the water. Then we have to think about the storm surge. Talking to the locals about Sandy, the surge was the worst part. But some boats were left fine at the stops while others were two blocks away. The boats on the hard were the worst hit.

So pull or leave in the water? That's our decision we are trying to make.

Dec 29, 2009
Hunter 380 Little Creek, Virginia Beach, VA
Little Creek preps

Just came back from the marina. Doubled up all lines, and removed my portable fuel tank from the cockpit.

Let er blow!

Nothing I can do about it anyways....no sense worrying.

Nothing on my old boat that can't be fixed anyways.

I am at Cove Marina on the Little Creek base as well slip 99. I'll be going there about 1630 today to pull down some canvas, double some lines, and maybe pull some valuables off the boat. My main concern is other boats that aren't properly secured there are quite a few boats with weathered lines, and a general untended/unused look. Marina managment says they will be retying some and adding lines (for a nominal fee - $15 plus cost of lines).

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Not crossed now ...

I assume that your stern docklines are crossed to the opposite side of the boat. That should put you in good shape. You can expect a 180 degree wind shift as the storm passes, all storm-force winds. Fenders needed.
I thought about crossing lines at the stern as I was tying up last night but I wasn't comfortable with the thought of interference across the stanchions or the steering pedestal. It would be helpful if the pilings were set far enough back so that lines would cross behind the boat instead of having to weave through all the things in the way.

I was in the dark moving the boat after work last night so I wouldn't have to attempt to move the boat today as much higher winds are coming in. I'm comfortable with the set-up for high winds and the normal tidal range is minimal but now it looks like a tidal surge may be an issue if Joaquin is aiming our way. I should have plenty of time over the weekend to adjust.

Fenders are out on both sides but I have another to place - it just needs to be inflated! I can use an extra as well.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
This wee we are seeing some pretty high winds. I was just on-board a half hour ago and winds were gusting to 38 knots but pretty steady in the 20-25 knot range. This is forecast right though the weekend.

#1 Our boat is in a very well protected hurricane hole on a very stout mooring with double 1" pendants.

#2 The bimini was removed about 30 minutes ago for the winds this week and the main sail was half-hitched / seized snugly to the boom.

#3 The primary pendant (polyester) is secured with three layers of chafe protection Cordura, polyester then a Chafe Pro sleeve.

#4 The secondary pendant (lazy/longer) is my custom made 1.25" Dyneema storm pendant. It is attached to the second Yale Polydyne pendant.. It has one layer of Cordura then two layers of Chafe-Pro. This pendant is so abrasion resistant it would likely saw my bow off before it parted.

#5 The furler drum is lashed so it can't unwind and the sail had about 7 extra wraps nice & tight..

#6 The anchor is NOT on the bow roller and is stowed to prevent chafing the mooring pendant.....

If we are predicted to go above 50 knots the dodger, main and genoa will come off...

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
I pulled all the sails canvas and boom getting ready to pull her this coming Monday. Now I'm thinking we may be delayed depending on how close and what the conditions will be come then.

Jesse, I was worried about you. Saw your last moves. Looks like your on a mooring and moved. Not a good way to start an adventure! Good luck. I'll be praying the European model is right.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Thanks Bob. I think everyone is hoping the EURO model is right.

We were anchored and moved to a Marina. With the dog being anchored seemed too risky plus we would have to get in the dinghy a couple times a day

We thought about a mooring but most around here seem to be uninspected mushrooms. We called around looking for a good, large block mooring and everyone thought we were crazy. Plus there would be the dog thing again.

This Marina is rebuilt since Sandy. I would like another 5-10 feet on the piles but it's pretty good otherwise.

I would love to here from Maine Sail how he would prep his boat for a dock.

Stay safe everyone.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Seriously I would be looking for a safe hotel room. Extra lines with chafe protection for the boat, dry land for you.
As was said at the Bounty inquiry, at sea or at a pier, on a ship, let alone on a boat, is no place to be in a hurricane.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Ditto. Things are looking a little better of late. But nail down that hotel room because they were hard to find prior to Sandy.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
andrew, more important, what's it looking like for whitebread!?!
The Whitebread 22 is canceled. Sad - but the Chicken Barbecue is on. And the band party is on. It's just a shame that we will won't be celebrating a boisterous sail. But, there is a growing onus on RC's to not sent a fleet into conditions which exceed the fleet's skill set. That's OK from my point of view.

Apr 5, 2015
Islander 26 Little Creek Navy Base
I am at Cove Marina on the Little Creek base as well slip 99. I'll be going there about 1630 today to pull down some canvas, double some lines, and maybe pull some valuables off the boat. My main concern is other boats that aren't properly secured there are quite a few boats with weathered lines, and a general untended/unused look. Marina managment says they will be retying some and adding lines (for a nominal fee - $15 plus cost of lines).
I went through that scenario last winter. The boat next to me had a derelict owner. His boat broke loose after using some sort of "clothes line" type quality lines. He did some damage to my boat before I could get over there. The marina finally had him kicked out.

Aug 16, 2015
O'Day 28 Salem, MA
I went through that scenario last winter. The boat next to me had a derelict owner. His boat broke loose after using some sort of "clothes line" type quality lines. He did some damage to my boat before I could get over there. The marina finally had him kicked out.
Sorry...just jumping in here. New sailor not understanding how boats come off a mooring in wind and wave. Is it always owner lack of prep? Storm just arriving in New England...I'm nervous. Tx. Tom O'Day 28

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Sorry...just jumping in here. New sailor not understanding how boats come off a mooring in wind and wave. Is it always owner lack of prep? Storm just arriving in New England...I'm nervous. Tx. Tom O'Day 28
Tom,

Read back to Maine Sail's Storm Prep post. It's a really good summary of how to prep on a mooring. He also has a good how to article on his site on Mooring Pendants. The key is good bridles with chafe protection and then having a second set of lazy bridles. Removing the anchor and all additional windage.

Good luck and fair winds,

Jesse

Aug 16, 2015
O'Day 28 Salem, MA
Tom, Read back to Maine Sail's post. It's a really good summary of how to prep on a mooring. He also has a good how to article on his site on bridles. The key is good bridles with chafe protection and then having a second set of lazy bridles. Removing the anchor and all additional windage. Good luck and fair winds, Jesse
Thanks...will do...

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
Gunni, that link has garden hose over 3 strand for chafe protection. (pg8).

I think tests were done and found garden hose enhanced heat/friction and was worse than no hose wrapper.

IIRC, fire hose (cloth) was good chafe protection.