Joaquin Prep?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Who's doing what?
The window to pull my runabout may have closed already. Easterly winds at the ramp I use make a difficult retrieval. It's not really Joaquin but the preceding weather. But once the east wind starts that ramp isn't very useable. Water will pile at my dock and could present a problem if my boat can drift over the dock. Doesn't look like a let up until middle of next week. Yikes!
Our chances of seeing over 50 knots aren't very high, as of now, but a long period of 20 knots from the east can really pile up the water.

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
Got an email today from my Marina. If it goes to tropical storm they will have someone onsite round the clock. First time I remember them doing that.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Too early to say what will happen, the models for 5 days out are scattershot. Plenty of warm water to build upon, and it is moving slow. This is a weird storm roaming like a drunken sailor.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Weather channel now reports it is hurricane strength. Comin' our way, Gunni. Ride it out at Davis'?

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Weather channel now reports it is hurricane strength. Comin' our way, Gunni. Ride it out at Davis'?
I certainly understand and appreciate the concern.

My boat is already safely on the hard in Michigan and has been since just after Labor Day. On the other hand, I'm sitting in southeastern Virginia.
The last hurricane that went through my neighborhood dropped three trees on the roof of my house, and I was one of the more fortunate ones.

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Hello Members,

I just finished an email to some friends at our marina on the Bohemia River. I asked them about their storm plans and told them I plan to go tomorrow to remove bimini/dodger and tie down or remove the sails. The removal will depend on the wind at the marina when I arrive. I would like to take them off, but if the wind is already too high and at a poor direction for removal I will just tie them with extra lines. I also plan for extra docklines and fenders. As a wise man once said, "It couldn't hurt!"

Dave: Nice touch that someone from the marina will be there continuously. I only question what they might be willing to do. I guess even a phone call about trouble would be worthwhile.

Dec 9, 2003
Hunter 34 Annapolis
I pulled the sails this morning while the wind was still light. The storm track could be very dangerous for the Chesapeake Bay. This site has a model for predicted wind speeds and direction.

https://www.windyty.com/?2015-10-04-21,38.935,-76.558,9

I have not seen any tide or water surge forecasts yet.

My guess is that many will be trying to pull boats if predicted path does not change quickly.

Tom

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Lot of weather things need to happen before this thing ends up in the Chesapeake Bay. And the soonest would be late Sunday. It isn't that big, it isn't strong (yet). Questions regarding it's ability to maintain strength remain. My anxiety-factor has not triggered. You guys on the Jersey coast and south L.I. need to pay attention.

May 21, 2006
catalina 25, 30 montauk / manhattan
andrew,

more important, what's it looking like for whitebread!?!

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
andrew, more important, what's it looking like for whitebread!?!
There's a lot of angst flowing in New Suffolk. Mostly it looks so far like the race will be sailed in 20 -30 kts. like last year and the year before. There's concern that skipper's may want to get their boats tucked away before Sunday as conditions deteriorate. I think RC should consider that and run a short course inside and let the contestants get home to take care of business.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
andrew, more important, what's it looking like for whitebread!?!
There's a lot of angst flowing in New Suffolk. Mostly it looks so far like the race will be sailed in 20 -30 kts. like last year and the year before. There's concern that skipper's may want to get their boats tucked away before Sunday as conditions deteriorate. I think RC should consider that and run a short course inside and let the contestants get home to take care of business. Then call it a success.

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Catalina 310 Cape May, NJ
Lot of weather things need to happen before this thing ends up in the Chesapeake Bay. And the soonest would be late Sunday. It isn't that big, it isn't strong (yet). Questions regarding it's ability to maintain strength remain. My anxiety-factor has not triggered. You guys on the Jersey coast and south L.I. need to pay attention.
Preparing as we speak....both at work and the boat. Plan on moving to the protected area of the marina on Friday (hopefully), dropping canvas and triple lining and will be able to spend the weekend preparing our town. Hoping that the recent cooler waters and the front that's coming through the weekend will keep him way off shore. Too early to tell but "preparedness" is my life so that I must do!

Good luck to you guys down south and stay safe!

Apr 5, 2015
Islander 26 Little Creek Navy Base
Just came back from the marina. Doubled up all lines, and removed my portable fuel tank from the cockpit.

Let er blow!

Nothing I can do about it anyways....no sense worrying.

Nothing on my old boat that can't be fixed anyways.

Apr 5, 2015
Islander 26 Little Creek Navy Base
There's a lot of angst flowing in New Suffolk. Mostly it looks so far like the race will be sailed in 20 -30 kts. like last year and the year before. There's concern that skipper's may want to get their boats tucked away before Sunday as conditions deteriorate. I think RC should consider that and run a short course inside and let the contestants get home to take care of business. Then call it a success.
If you are that worried, get a couple friends/family to help.

I have recovered boats when the entire marina and parking lot have been washed out. It's not very hard..... but just a real PITA.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
You too Jack, stay safe! Hopefully this thing weakens and curves east!

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
In a recent hurricane, a friend took all his valuables off the boat he lived on, put them in his car. His boat survived, but the marina and his car were flooded- along with his previously prized items.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
The morning NHC update suggests an eastward bend for the storm - seaward. But there is huge uncertainty at 72 hours (about Cape Henry) regarding track and strength. It is anyone's guess where this thing will track, but it will likely tear up the eastern seaboard with heavy weather. It could still come ashore and do huge damage. I have switched to hurricane prep mode in the great hope that doing so will jinx this thing seaward and make the effort a waste of time! All canvas off, dinghy off, headsail off. Double the docklines.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I moved my boat to Barnegat one month ago just to experience my first storm prep! I have a slip on an outer pier with a lot of exposure but there is plenty of room in the protected lagoon, so that is where I moved her last night. I am feeling much more secure in the interior location, removed the bimini, secured the mainsail cover (headsail is always off anyway) and doubled lines. I chose an empty slip surrounded by other boats, rather than a more open location with few boats around so my lines are relatively tight to keep from wandering. Not sure how I feel about that. I'm worried that I have lines too tight to allow surge.

It seems that the yard has a full schedule for removing boats, so I'll have to stay in the water. It sounds like they are going to have limited ability to remove boats anyway because weather systems are creating 20 to 30 knots from northeast later today and increasing throughout the weekend until the real storm arrives. It seems to me that the weather system that is moving through would have to push the tropical storm out, but the track on the local news this morning shows a line aiming straight for Barnegat, but staying just offshore.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
What many do not understand, the east coast has been soaked by rain for the past week and if this hurricane does not go out to sea, winds and waves are one thing, but there will be major flooding. I remember what Hurricane Dennis soaked the eastern half of North Carolina but when Hurricane Floyd coming in right after did, it was major flooding with loss of life and even I-9f was shut down due to flooding.

For those with trailerable sailboats, I would on the safe side pull them out and store on high ground. I remember Charlotte flooding many years ago and cannot forget what Camille did to the mountains of Virginia when looking for bodies