Jib Trim

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
The choise is really inside or outside the lifelines.

Thanks for all this info!! a lot to absorb for sure !! i recently bought an 84 cat 38 that has a 150, two tracks, and having a hell of a time sorting it all out. she's fast but the jib is a handful. Rookie question for starters: do your sheets come inboard over the lifelines, or through. if through, where?
My tracks are basically under the lifelines so the short answer is ... it depends. If you have an inside and an outside track, I think it may be a simple answer ... outside the lifelines when using the outside track and inside the lifelines when using the inside track.

The obstacle I have is that the 150 genny has a low clew that basically is drawn down to the lifeline when pointing. Attached is a photo that shows my lines on the outside ... see what happens to the clew, though? If I'm sailing alone, I typically put the lines outside because I'll spend a lot of time reaching and I don't have to go upwind all that much. Reaching with the lines inside is very bad for the lifelines and stanchions with this low-cut clew. Sometimes, I'll relocate the lines inside when going upwind, especially if I have crew so we can make changes more easily. I show a photo with the lazy sheet inside when sailing with crew. Also shown is my 110 jib which is an old sail and has a high clew. We're sailing downwind in this photo, but with this sail, I will usually sail with the sheets outside the lifeline for the same reasons, except that when sailing upwind, the only way it makes sense to use an in-haul is with the sheets inside.

Attachments

BayMan

Sep 12, 2012
Hunter 450 Unspecified
On a boat with outboard tracks, I think a barberhauler is an important tool.
Do I have this correct- a barberhauler lets you pull the clew of the jib inward towards the center of the boat? If so, couldn't you tighten the lazy sheet on the jib to get the same effect- at least with a 100 or 110% jib?

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Do I have this correct- a barberhauler lets you pull the clew of the jib inward towards the center of the boat? If so, couldn't you tighten the lazy sheet on the jib to get the same effect- at least with a 100 or 110% jib?
No. Tightening the lazy sheet would pull the clew forward, because it wraps around the mast and, in most cases, the standing rigging. A barber hauler needs to pull athwartship.

If the lazy sheet is pulled forward, the burdened sheet would need to be slacked to accommodate the movement... the sail would then billow, lose shape, flog, etc...

BayMan

Sep 12, 2012
Hunter 450 Unspecified
No. Tightening the lazy sheet would pull the clew forward, because it wraps around the mast and, in most cases, the standing rigging. A barber hauler needs to pull athwartship.

If the lazy sheet is pulled forward, the burdened sheet would need to be slacked to accommodate the movement... the sail would then billow, lose shape, flog, etc...
I was thinking that on a 100% jib it would pull sideways at the mast which is about where the clew would be on that size jib.
But am I correct that the barberhauler must pull the clew in toward the centerline of the boat?

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I was thinking that on a 100% jib it would pull sideways at the mast which is about where the clew would be on that size jib.
But am I correct that the barberhauler must pull the clew in toward the centerline of the boat?
Even a 100% jib will have an overlap. Trust me, it won't work. Even if you run the sheets inside the shrouds, the mast will be in the way. You want the direction of pull to be behind perpendicular to the boat's center line... or else you won't be able to trim the sail.

What you are trying to do is change the "sheeting angle" That is the angle created at the tack, between the centerline of the boat and a line drawn from the stem to the lead block position. A barber hauler can pull in... or out... but you still need to trim the sail.

dmc

Jan 29, 2007
Hunter Cheribini Lk. St. Clair MI
BayMan....

When I use the barber hauler here's the set-up. My 140 is sheeted tight, sailing 60 degrees off the wind. The primary sheet block is close to the position of primary capstan. Too far aft to properly set sail. The barber hauler is an 1 1/2 stainless steel ring on the sheet, A line is led from the ring to a barber hauler block, on the rail near the lower shroud. The line is the led aft to the secondary capstan. When I pull in the barber hauler it deflects the jib sheet and mimics a movable jib sheet car. It doesn't move the clew the way a lazy sheet would. I have never used it downwind, I'll give it a try in this weeks pre-race.

dmc

Feb 5, 2014
Beneteau 37 Galesville
Another picture - request

Garhauer system I put on my boat. No excuse for bad sheet lead position!
I like the idea very much. going forward to adjust seems clumsy and is dangerous when singlehanding.

I would like to acquire this system as well.

Can you please post a picture of the other end of the sheet as well as additional information like product number etc?

I assume that it allows movement both forward and aft.

Thanks for the post and picture.

Pete

Dec 30, 2013
ODAY 322 Portsmouth
Re: BayMan....

Might be wrong on this one but I think the Barber hauler is always athwart ships and the rig you describe (I use it too) is called a Twing (from the spinnaker world); it ONLY pulls the jib sheet down toward the track.

And yes it does mimic any jib car position very smooth.

May 17, 2004
Other Catalina 30 Tucson, AZ
Re: BayMan....

I'm not sure how to describe this but it's more like you're pulling the jib sheet IN to fool the jib into thinking the sheet is on a inside track.

Pat: thank you for your book/chart order - the products will be in the mail shortly.