Jib traveler....

Oct 11, 2020
oday javelin baltimore
the jib travellers in my javelin are both screwed into the fiberglass backrest above seats on each side of the boat. they are starting to come loose as they have been used for fifty years since the boat was made. i want to secure them. Don't rally ave a way to put a backing plate in, should i slide them and use larger screws and hope i can get another 50 years out of them or should i try putting them on top of the gunnels assuming that has a better core than a seat back does. Thanks for your suggestions.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
The next owner may hate you, but hey, it's 50 years old. You could apply some 5200 and screw them back down

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I believe they are called "jib lead tracks" (I always think of a traveler as a side to side control... but hey, we're here to have fun, right?) Anyway, you can repair the glass and re drill or shift the track forward or aft a bit to drill completely new holes. Moving them outboard to the gunnels will change the sheeting angle some and may change performance... for better or worse?... who knows unless you try it.

Jun 16, 2021
O'Day DS II Onalaska TX
Search here for "jib tracks". They are often "bolted through" not screwed, and over time they will loosen. From what I have researched, some crafty owners install similar inspection ports from the cuddy (DSII). For most, this allows you to replace the bolt, install new backing, and cinch it up with a nylon SS keeper nut (or similar). You will likely need two pairs of hands for this.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
An impact driver may make it possible with only one pair of hands so long as you don't over tighten. I stop after I hear the driver do one or two hammers