Jib sizes

Nov 4, 2018
Hunter 28.5 Catawba Island, OH
When I purchased my 28.5, it came 3 jibs, a 150% on the installed roller, a 110% hank on and a third hank on that I was lead to believe was working jib.

To start with the 150% on the roller and I could not come to mutual understanding. It came off and is now relegated to the basement. After sailing on the 110%, I think it is the smartest decision I've made yet about this boat.

Today I decided to go with the mystery bag marked "G". After hanking it on the foot stretched aft about half way to the mast, raised it was about half to two-thirds up the forestay. That seems a bit small for working jib. Is it a storm jib?
I'm not going to complain about performance though. For most of the day I making 4-5 knots.
Alec

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
I had a roller furling 130% Genoa on my H28.5. I also had a furling 110% working jib. On the Chesapeake, I usually started the season on April 1st and used the 110 until mid-June when the winds on the Bay dropped and the summer doldrums began. I then switched to the 130 until the end of October when I would switch back to the 110 until the end of the season at the end of November. So, a lot depends on the prevailing winds where you sail. I often hit speeds over 7 kts with the 130. Great sailing boat.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
A storm jib is great when the winds hit 20-25

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
Sounds like a storm jib to me.

Our 110 is our normal foresail in the Lake Erie Islands. Sometimes we shift up to our 130 in the doldrums of August.

I think a 150 is only a racing sail. It ideal for going to the weather mark in light winds, or in moderate winds with crew for ballast. It loses shape quickly when you crack off the wind, or furl it beyond 20%. And few of our cruising legs are close hauled!

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2018
Hunter 28.5 Catawba Island, OH
Thanks all for your answers.
I need to review my alert preferences. I thought I set them to be notified of responses - apparently not.

Anyway - interesting that I would have a 110 genoa and a storm jib with nothing in between. I priced out a 100, and nope ain't happening this year. I would eventually like to get a jib at about 95% for the in between.