Jib sheet

Nov 20, 2013
Catalina C-25 Cleveland
The jib sheet attachment on my c-25 is very large and cumbersome. I left it for this season as it was my first ever with a sailboat. Getting ready to haul her out for the winter and wanted to change the attachment method. Any suggestions? By the way my first season included mistakes, near misses, confusion and more grey hair. That sums up as awesome.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Some folks like a bowline, tied in such a way as to orient the knot(s) so it passes more easily across shrouds or lifelines.

I just use a single, long sheet, attached to the clew with a lark's head knot.

What method do you use?

Nov 20, 2013
Catalina C-25 Cleveland
The PO had a mess with a single line and a loop shrink wrapped in the middle looped through the sail. What a mess.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Some folks like a bowline, tied in such a way as to orient the knot(s) so it passes more easily across shrouds or lifelines. I just use a single, long sheet, attached to the clew with a lark's head knot. What method do you use?
My H23 had 2 sheets with bowlines on each. My H260 has one long sheet with the lark's head knot. (I didn't know the name of the knot. Thanks for teaching me the proper wordage!)

Nov 20, 2013
Catalina C-25 Cleveland
My H23 had 2 sheets with bowlines on each. My H260 has one long sheet with the lark's head knot. (I didn't know the name of the knot. Thanks for teaching me the proper wordage!)
at least you knew how to make the larks head ?

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
It kinda sounds as if your PO used a lark's head...kinda.

I had to google the "proper" name of the knot myself, Kermit. ;)

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
at least you knew how to make the larks head ?
Pretty easy, really. Pass the middle of the line through the clew and pull both ends through.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WyzUmetVJFA
If I can do this just about anyone should be able to. Seriously, it's easy. But I have to admit that I would have done my best to make it difficult if I hadn't seen a picture in the H260 owner's manual.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
The jib sheet attachment on my c-25 is very large and cumbersome. I left it for this season as it was my first ever with a sailboat. Getting ready to haul her out for the winter and wanted to change the attachment method. Any suggestions? By the way my first season included mistakes, near misses, confusion and more grey hair. That sums up as awesome.
Bowlines are best IMO b/c if the need ever arises you can take one sheet off while the other is holding the jib under load.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Bowlines are best IMO b/c if the need ever arises you can take one sheet off while the other is holding the jib under load.
This. Plus it:

1) Allows you to switch them around end-for-end when they start to get stressed in areas from the jib car, clutch, and line lock.

2) Allows you to have red and green tracered lines for port and starboard... your person on the bow will thank you if they ever have to untie and then re-tie them after some mess caused by a funny spin douse.

Nov 20, 2013
Catalina C-25 Cleveland
Well guys may have to go with bowlines to make changing the sail easier. Thanks for the input.