Jib sheet track/car?

Apr 3, 2020
Hunter 23.5 Frenchtown, MT
Hi All,
Serenade (H26.5) has a stationary fitting on each side of the deck for the jib sheets. Currently the top 1/3 or so of the jib is not providing any drive and I have no real way to adjust for that. I'm considering upgrading to tracks with a moveable car to assist with that. Yea, winter project time has set in! :)

Does anyone have suggestions for a decent system? I think it goes without saying, but this is NOT a blue water boat. I don't really need to adjust the car from the cockpit, mostly just want to be able to move back and forth a foot or two until I find the right position for that day and let 'em sit.
Thanks!
GH

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Do you use more than 1 headsail? For just one sail the track doesn’t have to be very long.
What happens if you put you hand or foot on the sheet forward of the jib lead. It should close the upper leech. If it doesn’t than maybe your sail is tired.

• Helpful
Apr 3, 2020
Hunter 23.5 Frenchtown, MT
Only one headsail, now on a furler. Currently there is a stationary stand-up block (not sure the correct term, but it's bolted in place and has a spring between the fastener and block to keep it standing) on either side. Yes, tracks like shown in that other 26.5.
Thanks

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
There are a lot of choices out there... my only solid recommendation is to install Standard 1" T track for your set up, rather than a proprietary track such as Harken's. That way you will have a large hardware selection. You can get a simple car and standup block (just mount your existing stationary block to a pin stop slider and you're good to go.) or get something a little pricier that allows two lines (not sure why you'd need that) or eventually you might want a full blown adjustable system like the Garhauer EZ glide. The point is you can upgrade the car system with out having to change out the track. Shop around, Ronstan and Garhauer have really good prices.... but look every where. You'll be surprised what you find. Oh... again.. make sure you match up the sliding car to the 1" track size. BTW, the aluminum track can be cut so length with a hacksaw. Since you have roller furling, you might want to add extra track length in case you reduce sail when you're out on the water. Maybe 3 feet instead of 2 (You could split a 6 footer perhaps)

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Mine has blocks and cleats so I can adjust from the cockpit, but you don't want that. Just make sure whatever hardware you get is easy to pin/unpin.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The adjustable car tracks are a great tool for the sailor who is constantly trimming his sails to optimze boat performance.

If you are on the fence, thinking will this really improve my performance? Or will I just spend money and still be the same place? (a trick many of us boaters accomplish with a pain in our wallets)

Might I suggest you try a "tweaker".
It is a line of rope, placed on the boat and it pulls the sail sheets to a desired position too "tweak" the sail shape.

Here is a tweaker on a Genoa. This one is like moving a jib car forward. As you pull it it pulls down on the leach to reduce the twist of the upper portion of the sail. It is infinitely adjustable and costs is limited (this one has 2 snap blocks and line to the cockpit. When on the other tack jsut switch the tweaker), no new holes in the boat.
1637279040121.png