Jib or Main when sailig with only one sail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 340 Forked River, NJ
Barnegat Bay Cruising

WoW, didn't know there were so many Barnegat Bay sailors on the site. The trip from Forked River to Morrison's takes about four hours. You can sail down to the bottom of the bay to ICW Marker 42 and then motor the rest of the way. It is about an hour to ICW 42, then about an hour to the Route 72 bridge, then a little less than 2 hours to Beach Haven and Morrison's. Morrrison's only has two transient slips available on their T dock so call early. Shelter Harbor Marina (609-492-8645) is just north of Morrison's with some transient slips available for about $125 per night. It's a nice place with a pool but the approach off the ICW is shallow at anything but high tide. Toms River also has some nice sheltered places to anchor and you can dock & dine at the Lobster Shanty.

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
Agree ......

My mast headed sloop performs well in stink with just the (120) jib and can still point quite well, my 'scow' on just the (board flat) main. I havent sailed in Barnegat Bay for some time but he winds do get 'high' ..... loves them scows. Last time through the inlet was surprised that the channel is now quite near the lighthouse, used to be on the 'other side'. Nasty inlet when a sea is running. Since its all 'changed' over the years, where does one get 'local knowledge' to get a big sailboat through the inlet?

Status
Not open for further replies.