Jib furling

Aug 10, 2017
Pearson 30 Oriental, NC
I broke it. My Genoa wrapped around the spare halyard attached to the bow rail. It twisted and snapped the top of the furling tube, (is that called the foil ?), until I finally got it under control. My question is, can the tube be repaired with another piece or does it need to be totally replaced? Are there used ones? Broke at the top in the first three inches.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Contact the maker of the furler and ask them. I have a Harken and the only limitation is age (the furler, not me...)
Some parts are not going to be available after 25 or 30 years. That might be true for Schaefer and others as well.

You did not mention it, but sometimes when a major part fails without notice it can fall under the "catastrophic loss" provisions of your insurance.
Best of luck.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
FL, Sounds like you were a bit too fast in the furling.... :yikes:
The foil, as is it called, is usually a multi piece system with segments that connect. You can buy sections, then attach them together to run the needed length for your forestay.

You are going to need to remove the foil from the forestay. Patch the broken section then reinstall on the forestay.

Do you have help or are you looking for the procedure to DIY?

Aug 10, 2017
Pearson 30 Oriental, NC
John
That's what I wanted to hear. I'm presently waiting to hear back from the former owner, (shipright). I feel he'll say the same thing.
Thank you

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
As Fast Olsen suggested reach out to the manufacture of the furler. They should be able to tell you the info on the foil from the serial number on the furler.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
While you are fixing things......
I would hazard a guess that this is an "older" furler, and a further guess that the head stay wire inside is just as old.
While you have it down for repair or replacement, DO replace the old stay.
(If the rig is over, say, 20 years old, it's pretty much a given that the rig is due for replacement in any case.)

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Bring those spare halyards back to the mast when underway or sailing. You do not need your sails or lines getting involved with them.
You can replace foil sections, but if they are too old, you may need to buy a used furler. Also, if the sections are metal tubes, the top section of the foil probably has a bearing in it that you may need to retain if it is not broken.
You can find used furlers on Craigslist or Ebay.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
How should you stow a spinnaker halyard when not using it? I was assuming on the bow rail, but now I'm not so sure.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Pull it down to the base of the mast. I have a whisker pole hook there that I snap all my spare halyards to.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Pull it down to the base of the mast. I have a whisker pole hook there that I snap all my spare halyards to.
Provided the halyard won't chafe or clang on the mast that should work. We run ours to the mast base when we're sailing but to the bow pulpit at the dock.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I attach mine to a ring at the mast base when sailing and to the bow pulpit when docked.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Before going any further, you need to provide the name of the manufacturer and model furler so we can have a better idea what to recommend or suggest. I note you are in Oriental. If you need help, go talk with the owner of SailCraft as he is knowledgable and most respected in the area. Also the others also respecte are Triton's and Deaton's. Seriously doubt the former owner will have any parts but might remember what furler this is. Better yet, take a photo and post. Use to be a former sailboat dealer in North Carolina.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
How should you stow a spinnaker halyard when not using it? I was assuming on the bow rail, but now I'm not so sure.
Mine is on a block at the spinnaker crane over the head of the furler. I keep the spinnaker halyard tight and attached to the front of the pulpit. I think that if I were to bring it back to the mast, then it would wrap. (I did manage to wrap the 2nd genoa halyard last weekend because I left it on the side of the pulpit.)

Aug 10, 2017
Pearson 30 Oriental, NC
Good advice. This boat was refit and painted all over 6 years ago. Just some running rig needs replaced.
Thank you.

Aug 10, 2017
Pearson 30 Oriental, NC
Doug
Thanks for the reply. Looks like I'll be going back down to prep for the storm soon. I can then work on this some more.

Adam D

Sep 8, 2017
Catalina 22 Harrison Lake
Depending on your furler material, you may consider repairing it yourself. I cracked my plastic furler and repaired it with PVC pipe. using a heat gun, soften up the length of PVC pipe then cut it open with scissors. The heat gun can then be used to help mold the pipe around the furler. Using a chemical plastic weld, assemble the pieces together with the pvc over/around the broken area like a cast
-{}-----=======-------------------———
. pvc cast^ ...... furler^

Aug 10, 2017
Pearson 30 Oriental, NC
Depending on your furler material, you may consider repairing it yourself. I cracked my plastic furler and repaired it with PVC pipe. using a heat gun, soften up the length of PVC pipe then cut it open with scissors. The heat gun can then be used to help mold the pipe around the furler. Using a chemical plastic weld, assemble the pieces together with the pvc over/around the broken area like a cast
-{}-----=======-------------------———
. pvc cast^ ...... furler^