Jib Furling Parts

Jan 13, 2020
Hunter H-31 Southport
Greetings fellow sailers. Just retired and purchased an '87 Hunter H-31. Great boat. Getting ready for a summer of fun sailing here in North Carolina. Looking for a part that I am having a hard time locating. Jib furling system (pictured) according to previous owner had a plastic? cover over top that kept reefing line from riding up forestay. I hope somewhere, there must be a 'graveyard' of reefing parts (or could I make one myself). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Attachments

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
The piece you need is either plastic or ss. I call it a bail or drum but I'm not sure if that is the correct terminology. I ordered one for my reefer from this site (SBO). If you can identify the manufacturer just call these guys and they will source it for you, ship it etc.

Here is what it looks like,

or
@DrJudyB can probably steer you to the correct manufacturer and you can buy the correct piece.

2018-06-23 15.08.18.jpg
2018-06-23 15.31.01.jpg

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
(or could I make one myself)
This is what I'd do if the OEM part's not readily available. Looks like you could fashion a disc out of some UV stable plastic or whatnot, cut it in two and pop rivet it to the upper flange of the furler body.
It shouldn't receive any real stresses in normal operations.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
Hi @Golfpro

It looks like it’s an old Crusing Design International “Reefer II” from the 1980’s . Check with them. http://www.sailcdi.com/.

The Reefer style CDI was sold before I became a distributor, so I am not very familiar with them. There were differences between small and large sizes, and this one looks a little different from the ones I’ve seen before. So there a chance I’m wrong, but I’d bet a round of beers for you and you first mate that’s an old CDI.
:beer::beer::beer:

CDI may have a replacement drum that is compatible with the old Reefers,, but don’t get your hopes up to far. As far as I know, they don’t have a copy of the old owner manuals either. But you could double check with them. Maybe they found one since the last time I inquired.

Have you inspected the aluminum extrusions and all the joints? They may be loose or completely disconnected from each other, or bent/twisted. That could cause a rip in the luff of the headsail.

The connectors between the extrusion sections were plastic, and are often bent or brittle from age. While you might find some old ones in a salvage pile. Last time I checked,nobody had a source for replacement connectors.

Before you start looking for ideas on how to build you own or find used parts, you should seriously consider inspecting and replacing the forestay. It’s probably several decades old and could have broken strands and rust inside the swages. That means removing the furler, which may not survive the process.

Judy B
Longtime CDI distributor

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2020
Hunter H-31 Southport
Thanks everyone for your quick replies. Things sure were much simpler in the 'old' days before reefing systems. Fortunately the previous owner gave me another newer system to replace this if needed. Just want to get one more year out of this one though.

RitSim

Jan 29, 2018
Beneteau 411 Branford
Also, it looks like the line is 1/2". Consider reducing to 5/16 or 3/8 line. On a previous boat, the PO had actually removed the core of the line for 10-15 feet.

Jan 13, 2020
Hunter H-31 Southport
I did notice that on other boats in the marina, theirs seemed smaller. Previous owner installation. I'll go back with 3/8 or less. Thanks for noticing.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I have a CDI, and that looks like a lot like mine. I think Judy is right.
luckily, they are still in business, so hopefully you can get a part for it.

Greg

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
BTW, it’s best to read the manual for the furler to find out the right diameter for the furling line. But if you can’t find a manual, 8 mm (5/16”) is the typical size for a furling line in this LOA size range. If the line is too big, it won’t all roll up onto the drum with room to spare. You need room to spare tolower the risk of it jamming.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
CDI Is now under third ownership in Canada. They are very friendly and courteous. This looks like an older CDI furler and suggest calling them. Was a dealer for CDI and very close friend with the founder of CDI. KEEP us posted.
Thank you @DrJudyB for identifying furler

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
... I hope somewhere, there must be a 'graveyard' of reefing parts (or could I make one myself). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!
Maybe a last-ditch effort, but how about a trip to the antique store for a stack of 45 rpm records?

Last edited: