Jib furling line

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I need to replace my 110 jib furling line after it broke and looked in my manual and can’t find how much I need.
Has any body replaced the jib furling line on 2007 H-36 and how long did you buy and size or where in the manual
give info what size and how long.
Nick

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
A very basic rule of thumb is 2x boat length plus 10ft. It doesn't appear in the manuals, probably because Hunter bought the furler complete. The diameter is furler brand dependent, likely 8mm.

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
Brest to see if you can check your furler manual.

Here's what Harken https://www.harken.com/uploadedfiles/Product_Support/PDF/4673.pdf says

"Furling line is not included with furling unit. Purchase 12 mm (7/16") low - stretch polyester double - braid line. Line length should be equal to the length of the boat, plus the length of the foot of the largest genoa, plus 2 m (6'). "

Two suggestions:
1. Include an extra 12' on whatever you do, then shorten as you like once you've used it a few times.
2. Do not try using a larger line size than that specified for your system as that will tend to jam the furler.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Thanks all and maybe try measuring the line by un wrapping it off the furling spool and measure the line.
Nick

Feb 12, 2020
Hunter 356 119 Stockholm
I measured mine and it is a 8 mm line 18 meters long. I have a H 356.
Patrik

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
My Hunter boat manual has the suggested size and length for all running rigging.

Feb 10, 2017
Hunter 41 Progreso
i would suggest that you add some feet so you can reach one winch, very helpfull when there is a lot of wind.

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
i would suggest that you add some feet so you can reach one winch, very helpfull when there is a lot of wind.
FWIW as a general rule you should not put a furling line on a winch, as the associated gear can easily be broken. If you have the main up, you can relief the jib by heading off into the shadow of the main. If you must use the winch, use it sparingly, to be sure you are not trying force overcome a wrap or jam.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Yeah, I think I would head more up wind to furl rather than use a winch. I once tried to decore a thicker line on the CDI for my Mac. The part that rolled up inside the drum. It didn't go well.