Jib, car and winch layout for O'Day 25

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
After months of work my O'Day 25 is finally on the water. I solo sailed on Saturday and then we went out for half a day on Sunday. Nothing broke! I had to double check the placard to make sure I was sailing an O'Day!

While nothing broke I did run into a few issues. My furler kept jamming. The angle of the line is wrong and the line is shot. Does anyone know what length of line should be used? There is a short line connected to the deck to prevent the furler housing from turning. It's not very effective. I suspect it's missing a piece

The position of the jib cars, winch and cleat are so close togther that they interfere with one another. It's totally possible that I'm running the jib sheets incorrectly. Should the sheets be ran on the inside or outside of the lifelines? Does anyone have a pic of their combing?

Should the sidestay go slack when sailing on a reach? It was able to move freely about a 1/2"

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Pics of how you are running the job sheets would help a lot. I can't remember how I ran mine when I owned it. The cars at the stern are for spinnaker sheets, there should be a single block more forward for the job sheets. Like I said, pics would help alot. My leward inner shroud goes slack most of the time, depending on trim and breeze. If your rig is tuned to proper spec, you don't have anything to worry about.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
The cars at the stern are for spinnaker sheets, there should be a single block more forward for the job sheets
That explains a lot! I have two non self tailing winches. They're larger than the originals. Even with four wraps I find the line will slip unless I lightly pull on the tail. This makes winching a two handed operation that's a bit difficult when single handing. Is this normal?

Jun 29, 2010
That explains a lot! I have two non self tailing winches. They're larger than the originals. Even with four wraps I find the line will slip unless I lightly pull on the tail. This makes winching a two handed operation that's a bit difficult when single handing. Is this normal?
You have to tail the line so a slight pull would be normal. Keep an eye out for early next year. West Marine has had BOGO on winches for the last couple of years......

Mar 2, 2019
Oday 25 Milwaukee
Hope this helps . The jib sheets go outside the lifelines . I also had to reconfigure the furling line from how it came. The angle out from the drum is critical. I use 30' of 1/4" line to furl. Any smaller and it is hard on the hands . Any larger and the drum gets full before I'm done ..
From the jib car the jib sheet runs through a pivoting cleat with a built in fairlead . This is mounted a few inches forward of the winch. I'll post a photo when I get home .
If I'm out sailing by myself ,I'll often take the working jib sheet around the working winch and then across the cockpit to the other side around the winch and then to the cleat. this makes tacking so much easier

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
From the jib car the jib sheet runs through a pivoting cleat with a built in fairlead . This is mounted a few inches forward of the winch. I'll post a photo when I get home .
This horn cleat is driving me nuts! I plan on installing a fairlead and camcleat. I'd love to see the placement of yours

If I'm out sailing by myself ,I'll often take the working jib sheet around the working winch and then across the cockpit to the other side around the winch and then to the cleat. this makes tacking so much easier
So you have a line running across the cockpit most of the time?

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I use 30' of 1/4" line to furl. Any smaller and it is hard on the hands . Any larger and the drum gets full before I'm done ..
TR, Are you sure your furling line is only 30’ long? Wondering if it’s a typo. Sounds short for the O’day 25.
I had 70' of 5/16" on mine with a Furlex 100 furler. It did the fill the drum completely so I removed the core of the first 10"

@Project_Mayhem
Glad to hear you got out on the water and back with no issues.

Timm R suggested to me a few years back to try "cross sheeting" the jib sheet. I would do it in higher winds so I could stay on the high side of the boat when handling the jib sheets.

I was going to install a Harken Cam Cleat on a raised block behind my winches on my O'day 25 but then one of them went bad so I replaced with self tailors.

I ran my jib sheets over the lifelines as the others have stated.

Happy Sailing

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
For a jib sheet/standard winch configuration the line should go from the sail through the lead block to the winch and finally to a cleat. If you have the "horn" cleat behind the winch it is most likely a "jam" cleat... which means that one of the horns is configured so you can "pinch" the sheet to hold it secure....then a quick half hitch on the opposing horn to lock it. Standard winches are "non self-tailing" and you must put some pressure on the "tail" of the sheet to get the friction on the drum for the winch to work. Remember that the winches can be operated like a ratchet.... rather than turning full circle.... it is a lot easier to use the ratchet technique when operating the winch single handed. You need two hands.... so a lock on the tiller will help... one hand on the handle, the other tailing the sheet... ratchet and pull... with the cleat right behind the winch, NOT in front, you can easily slip the secure the sheet....

If I may, I will take exception to a previous comment from a poster who said his jib sheet ran through a swivel camcleat/fairlead before the winch..... I highly recommend you do not set up this way. Unlike the halyards, where a cleat before the winch is desired so you can use it for multiple lines ..... you do not want any thing to foul the headsail sheet when you release it for trimming, tacking or gybing..... If you are not going to use winches …. you can go ahead with the swivel cleat/captive fairlead set up... it's very common on small boats without winches. But when using sheet winches, which get way, way more activity than the halyard winch, you'll want the lines to run free when maneuvering.

Finally, if you are trying to rig for easier single handing.... before you spend thousands on self tailing winches invest 4 or 5 hundred bucks on a tiller pilot.... your sailing life will change for the best 1000%
PS you shouldn't have a lot of slack in your rig's shrouds..... google "mast tuning" for many, many articles of getting you mast set up.

Jun 29, 2010
Finally, if you are trying to rig for easier single handing.... before you spend thousands on self tailing winches invest 4 or 5 hundred bucks on a tiller pilot.... your sailing life will change for the best 1000%
If I may, you will not "spend thousands" on self-tailers. As I said, if you wait and watch for sales, especially if West Marine does the BOGO again, you can get a pair of ST 16's for $700. These are fine for an O'Day 25. Get a tiller clutch also, not the POS tiller tamer from Davis. Get the tiller clutch. $70 +/- from Defender and won't chew up your line.

But, as @Joe said, get that rig tuned.

Mar 2, 2019
Oday 25 Milwaukee
My mistake ! The swiveling cam cleat is for the furling line not the jib sheet . After rereading what I posted ,it appears I slipped a gear. I apologize for the confusion . The jib sheet comes back from the jib car alongside the ports to the winch and then forward to the cleat .https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=DChcSEwjz2IDUk6PkAhUBr8gKHWo5BnwYABAFGgJxdQ&sig=AOD64_3wq6kjmmotaCEGJ-3GjFkyV8j3kQ&ctype=5&rct=j&q=&ved=0ahUKEwjqofzTk6PkAhVohuAKHQngBmwQvhcISw&adurl=

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
It did the fill the drum completely so I removed the core of the first 10"
This is exactly how mine is. I think you just saved me a whole lot of time, money and frustration! Thank you!

These are fine for an O'Day 25
Half the time I think any winch is overkill for this boat! So far I find them more cumbersome than anything. I believe this opinion will change over time

If you have the "horn" cleat behind the winch it is most likely a "jam" cleat
I believe you are right. I will have to give this a try

before you spend thousands on self tailing winches invest 4 or 5 hundred bucks on a tiller pilot.... your sailing life will change for the best 1000%
I have a Forespar tiller extension and was eyeballing the Lock box. Most of the tiller locks/clutches make it difficult to use a tiller cover without modifications. I definitely believe your right about this being one of the best devices I can buy. I also have a couple of autopilots that I've been itching to try.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
where's the sheet winch? what is the cam cleat for? the jam cleat works by wrapping the line around the rear horn and jamming under the forward horn.

Panera

Jan 18, 2014
Hunter 280 Portland, ME
Here is the original sales brochure and a rigging list that may help.

O’DAY 25 RIGGING SPECS (Taken from a 1979 O’DAY memo)
(All Lengths and specifications are approximate and are subject to change without notice)

Main Halyard (rope) 5/16” x 59’ (K/CB)
5/16” x 64’ (Keel)

Jib Halyard (rope) 5/16” x 60’4” (K/CB)
5/16” x 63’4” (Keel)

Mainsheet 3/8” x 40’

Jib Sheet 3/8” x 48’ (24’ x 2)

Mainsail Outhaul ¼” x 9’

Boom Downhaul ¼” x 4’

Topping Lift (rope) ¼” x 31’ (K/CB)
¼” x 33’ (Keel)

Centerboard Pendant (need to find this)

Spinnaker Halyard 5/16” x 67’ (K/CB)
5/16” x 71’ (Keel)

Spinnaker Pole Lift 5/16” x 43’ (K/CB)
5/16” x 45’ (Keel)

Spinnaker Pole Downhaul 5/16” 30’ (K/CB)
5.16’ x 31’ (Keel)

Spinnaker Sheets 5/16” x 48’ (2)

Genoa Sheets 3/8” x 60’ (30’ x 2)

All running rigging is typically double-braid Dacron (Polyester) rope

Standing Rigging Specs.

Headstay 5/32” x 30’10” (K/CB)
5/32” x 32’10” (Keel)

Upper Shroud 5/32” x 28’9” (K/CB)
5/32” x 30’ 9” (Keel)

Lower Shroud 5/32” x 25’8 ½” (K/CB)
5/32” x 16’8” (Keel)

Backstay 5/32” x 32’8 ¼” (K/CB)
5/32” x 34’8” (Keel)

All Standing rigging is SS 1x19 type wire and lengths are with turnbuckle (where applicable) closed, from eye to eye (most riggers measure with turnbuckles half-closed, so be sure to note this and/or bring old rigging to rigger to measure for replacement)

Attachments

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Here's an update after sailing a couple of times
  • The furling line fills up the entire drum when the genoa is deployed so I'm 99% sure a PO removed the core of the first few feet of line. Thanks @Ward H
  • The cleat is most definitely a jam cleat. Using it as such has made things a whole lot easier! Thanks @Joe
  • I adjusted the angle of the furling line and it made a world of difference! Thanks @Timm R Oday25
  • I saved all of the specs you listed and uploaded them to the O'Day 25 downloads section. Thanks @Panera