Jib and Bow Pulpit

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Randy Kolb

I am about to mount a pad eye to the mast for my new whisker pole. Before I do that I would like some feedback. When the jib/genoa flies outward (rather than more parallel) to the boat it rubs up against the bow pulpit. This has always seemed odd but pictures of C22s shows that they usually attach the jib right to the bow. Does anyone use a length of cable, etc to raise the bottom of the jib up above the bow pulpit? Any other thoughts? Thanks!

B

Bayard Gross

Leave the jib foot close to the deck

Don't worry too much about the jib rubbing against the bow pulpit. The only way to do anything about that is to chuck the bow pulpit. However, the C-22 National Sailing Association requires bow pulpits for racing. So rest assured that even racers must deal with this problem, which is also true on any boat with a bow pulpit. Your primary concern with the jib is to keep the foot as close to the deck as practical which is best for perfromance. Hence, putting in a pennent at the tack to raise it above the pulpit will actually do more harm than good.

J

Joe

You won't do any harm by using a pennant.

A sail's shape and performance are important considerations, but be aware that many sailors use pennants to clear the tack off the deck when cruising. Besides improving visibility, it keeps the sail out of the way of ground tackle. The sail stays drier after waves find their way to deck level. The length of the pennant, or how high you want the tack above the deck, will be limited by the hoist of the sail. Check your headsail's hoist to see how much higher you can go. With your dimensions go down to West Marine and tell the guy you want to make a wire pennant and he will get you what you need and let you make it yourself, right there in the store. My pennants are vinyl coated wire with loops sweged at each end. I usually double the pennant through the sail's tack, and attach the loop ends to the shackle. I have different sized pennants for each sail depending on need.

A

Aldo

Try it.

Randy: I added a pennant for my regular jib and also my storm jib. I don't feel that it hurts preformance, because part of the job of the jib is to put air over the main. If it is a little higher, you can see better, and it does dump more of it's air over the main, and should therefore give you more lift, and help preformance. I made my pennants out of a new low stretch line. It does, of course, stretch a little, and does stretch more than wire, but if you have a jib winch, it will stretch this as well as your halyard. I could not add one to my drifter, since it goes all the way from the fitting at the bow to the masthead. So as Joe said, you have to check your sails to see what length pennants you need. Since mine are made from line, I just adjusted the knots, until I felt that I had what I wanted, and then cut off the extra. This also works out fine when you stuff the sail into the sailbag. Aldo

D

David Bradish

Sailing is more dangerous than I thought.

I am new to sailing as of last weekend. I attached the tack of the jib to the deck fitting on my Catalina 22 because I couldn't see any other way to do it. But, you can only see half of what is in front of you. This may be acceptable sailing on the ocean, but I sail on a small and crowded lake. If most people rig to sail half blind, why are liability insurance rates so reasonable?

J

Joe

You need a window to see those kayakers

If you're concerned about visibility and you want to keep your sail at deck level for performance or because of size issues, have a sail loft add a clear vinyl window to it. It will not cost you very much and will give you much more confidence in a busy area. I have a window on my #1 racing genoa because the foot sweeps the deck. Even with the window sometimes the visibility is restricted. I rarely use it when singlehanding simply because of this issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.