Jerk

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Thanks for the sympothy all. Yes it was locked and I also had a cable run through the handle. They cleanly cut the cable and there was no sign of the lock. At least they cleaned up after themselves. No damage to the motor mount so they must have unscrewed it.

Def. considering a gps tracker on the next one I buy.

Rob

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I hope you recover it Rob. At the very least, this is a good warning to other boat owners. These guys obviously knew what they were doing when they stole it. Maybe they'll slip up when they try to sell it. Or use it.

Mar 12, 2021
Hunter 26 Gulfport
Jerk! That's pretty soft language for motor thieves. When we purchased a new motor we were warned about thieves. The salesman said he's heard of too many people repurchasing their outboard because it was stolen.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Many years ago, our little marina suffered a couple of OB thefts in quick succession. Sheriff said it was very likely that, since these were smaller motors off of sailboats, they were going to be resold for small fishing boats. Very hard to catch the thieves who probably came in at night with their bolt cutters, and in a small boat with an electric OB motor.
In a short period, several marinas were hit, near us.
Our members put on larger more conspicuous locks on hardened chains. Also, since these were the popular Honda's, they painted zebra stripes down the sides and on the cowling to distinguish them at a distance. (!) We have had a couple dinghies stolen in the last year, but no outboards. (sigh...)

I always wonder how many of the small OB motors for sale on CraigsList are "hot".... ?
:(

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2021
Hunter 26 Gulfport
Thanks for the sympothy all. Yes it was locked and I also had a cable run through the handle. They cleanly cut the cable and there was no sign of the lock. At least they cleaned up after themselves. No damage to the motor mount so they must have unscrewed it.

Def. considering a gps tracker on the next one I buy.

Rob
Do you have any info on outboard motor gps trackers? I would consider getting one.

Sep 25, 2019
CATALINA C27 Lk Norman NC
In south carolina outboards are titled.....( for all the good it does).....but go 2 hours north into N Carolina and that size I don't believe requires title.
Damn Shame all around!!!!!!!

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
I don't know that it helps much but we bought a cover to go over the cowling on our outboard. Hides the brand name and protects the lock from the weather. And it's one more thing you have to mess with to remove the outboard.

Here's hoping the police call you soon to return your outboard.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
sounds like nice little outboards should be painted in wild carnival colors with boat name prominently and garishly displayed. there are lots of OB thefts in our neighborhood nowadays, from marinas without gated access. and the crooks could be in 3 states by now --NY, PA, OH....