Jerk

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Hope you have the SN for the motor. That totally sucks. Any cameras in the area?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I reported it. I have the SN. Doubt any cameras got it

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Sorry to hear that. That’s why God invented motor locks. That may at least slow them down the next time or for someone else.

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
Sorry to hear this. Hope you find the SOB. I use motor loc for my dinghy outboard. This is one tough lock. No shank to cut.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Outboards are always a concern for theft. Sometimes I can't believe my 9.9 Yamaha was never stolen off the back of my O'Day years ago.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
While it doesn’t help the OP and it’s unfortunate that this happens at all, this points to the value of forums like this one and hopefully prompts people with outboards to ensure they use a solid lock such as the one suggested above.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Man that sucks. Hope you get lucky. They or you find the offenders and they get their comeuppance.

Good luck an condolences.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Ouch! The only thing stolen from our boat is a nice pair of leather gloves. Took them from our dinghy at the Deer Harbor dock while we went to the store to get a few things. I do hope you find the rascals and hang them from the. yard arms upside down. Grr.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Even a lock like the better one linked above, assumes that they care about damaging the motor clamp section.

A good bash with a big hammer may break the metal where the screw clamps are.
I saw a recovered motor with that type of damage. Was stolen when locked... Smash smash smash and motor gone.

Not sure if all are that fragile though.

A better option is a cheap gps tracker stuck in the cowling. You get the motor back and catch the dirtbags at the same time.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Sorry to hear that. That’s why God invented motor locks. That may at least slow them down the next time or for someone else.
Also, the plate at the bottom of the mount has a place for a screw or throughbolt. I use it because my mount is tapered and the motor likes to walk up. But it also makes the motor hard to steal, in some ways harder than a lock.

Aug 5, 2019
Macgregor 26 S NJ
I used a Dremel to ugly up/engrave my last name, state & phone number on three sides of my two Tohatsus', I also markered up the inside too with the same info. You are not going to see it from far away but anyone within 10' feet will see it and hopefully disinterest would-be thieves. Sorry to hear about yours, and that it was locked too... Bolt cutters & battery-op grinders make fast work of cutting most locks.