Jeanneau 349 vs Dufour 360

May 14, 2016
Hunter Hunter 27 Newport RI
Hello

We are in the market for a new boat we we’re at both the Nwpt and Annapolis boat show this season. It is incredibly hard looking back and forth...and even just 2 models.
We currently have a ‘83 Hunter 27 , and are outgrowing, we cruise 20-40 miles on a long weekend, MV, Block Island, Cutty Hunk ,etc..
Really liked the Jeanneau 349. Then started looking closely at the Dufour
360. I have to say the interior finish work on the Dufour looks superior to the Jeanneau. Inside -the width on Dufour is about 9 in more, with only a few more inches of total beam on the boat. Looks like better quality on Dufour, but can anyone comment the the rest of the build and sailing differences? Hull/deck quality hardware etc??
So far here are pros and cons I see in each—-I understand some pros or cons could be perceive either way as well.
Jeanneau
Pro- —twin rudder, Yanmar, uses shaft drive, this may be a pro vs the sail drive in other new boats, longer cockpit, better comings in cockpit, higher (more support) ,shower/toilet divider, clean looking salon -area (pocket doors no “cabinets” in salon.), large walk-in storage area aft starboard - access from door in shower and cockpit hatch.
Cons- —only avail in 21hp Yanmar- enough?, less space behind wheels for sitting, no back seat- only side.
No center chart plotter, only on port side, multi on starboard.
Inside looks more basic, less finished, looks open but no over head cabinets, galley is more limited in size.
Dufour
Pros- —beautiful interior finish work,
Salon has 2 skylights plus a hatch, more light. Cabinets in salon.. Back seats behind wheels, chartplotter on cockpit table, seen at both helms, option for 30hp Volvo. More width in cockpit,
Cons—-
Uses a Volvo with Volvo sailsrive.- problems?? Single rudder, would a dual rudder system be better? Cockpit not as long can’t completly lay out about a foot shorter than the Jeanneau 349. Comings not high enough -no back support, Storage compartments completly open when swim platform is down.

I plan on sailing these 2 boats this week..,
Any comments on these 2 boats are very much welcomed!

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Some folks will likely tell you that a Yanmar w/ shaft drive is preferable, especially at resale, over the Volvo engine and Volvo sail drive. A diesel engine mechanic that I know and have chatted with claims Volvo does not have a great enough parts availability, as in very hard to acquire. For a new boat, probably not a problem. But for one that's over 10 yr old, maybe. A prospective buyer for your resale will be looking at that when the time comes. From what I've read and heard, I probably would not buy a sailboat w/ a Volvo engine installed unless first thoroughly checking out the negative hearsay about parts availability down the road. (Not by talking to the salesman.) Also, sail drive legs being aluminum, they require much attention to the potential electrolysis issues. Should familiarize yourself with that issue if you choose the Dufour. Specifically, consider the preventative maintenance that you may have to do.

I do, however, like the Dufour's layout and appeal. I toured one last year in Vancouver; the 46-ft model. That one had hydronic heating. Overall, very nice.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I haven't sailed either of these boats, however a couple of quick comments.

Twin Rudders: A more complicated steering system. I prefer the KISS approach.

Sail drive: The boot will need to be periodically replaced, check the service interval. It won't be cheap. Yanmar and Volvo both make good engines. I"ve had one of each. Parts for either of them are not cheap.

Look for hand holds, etc in the cabins. Life at 15* of heel dictates easily reached handholds.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
When he says "boot" DL is referring to the rubber diaphragm that seals the hole in the bottom of the boat through which the sail drive "leg" projects. I replaced the one on my Yanmar sail drive at year 15; although, that was fairly late by the manufacturer's schedule. Still, the one that came off looked in pretty good condition to me.

Last edited:

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
A production boat with shaft drive, really? Impressive. That would be a big plus for me. Wouldn’t obsess on ‘seatbacks at the helm’, fact is you are leaning forward into the wheel when seated and steering, the rest of the time you are standing for clear view or sitting off to the side while the AP steers the boat. Glad to hear you are sailing both boats, that would be how I decided which one I wanted to spend the next 10 years with. They all look pretty at the dock, but the proof is in how she moves.

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
The shaft drive on my 349 never gives me any issues and is virtually maintenance free. Just remember to burp the rubber shaft seal after you relaunch the boat after hauling out and grease it once a year.
The boat easily makes hull speed in flat water with the engine at full throttle.
The 349 with the square top mainsail and no backstay has advantages.

Gene S

Nov 29, 2015
Delphia 37 Tacoma
I have a Volvo D2-55 with 130S sail drive. I have had few problems with it. Receintly replaced the gland and vibration damper. Yes it wasn't cheap but they lasted 12 years. I wouldn't buy a boat with a Yanmar/sail drive combo. Too many complaints with cone clutches. Also I would not buy into the common rail fuel system with either engine. Again, too many complaints. I don't know why the mfgs are going to 34' boats. The 36 is a nice size and 40 is too much for me.

May 14, 2016
Hunter Hunter 27 Newport RI
Thanks for the responses. Still looking to compare the build quality on deck and hull, if I get a comparison of each and how they’re built I’ll post it here.

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
dont have experience with either, but check builder specs on materials used. likely they are similar. when aboard check the hidden locations for quality, are the lockers finished or raw, how are plumbing and wiring runs, labeling?while sailing you can hear difference from a thin tin can rattle .vs. solid hull, properly fitted interior

Oct 30, 2017
Caliber 40 LRC Lake Pueblo
I thought the sunsail 349 was only available in the Med.....?

The wife and I are looking at the 349 vs the benne 38.1

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I have a rule: Date her before you marry her.

BVI Yacht Charters has a 2017 Jeanneau 349 and the Beneteau 38. It is a two-cabin version which would the right layout for a 35' boat. We did a charter with these guys maybe 20 year ago when they were over in Village Cay. Looks like they moved to Roadtown. They treated us very well. Roadtown is a nice landing spot to begin and end a charter. Haven't been there since H.Irma.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Not to confuse the issue, but I found the 385 Catalina at the Annapolis Show to be a well proportioned boat with nice details and floor plan. A little less minimalist than other boats on the market. Comfortable cockpit.