Javelin O'Day 1983 Sprucing Up, Some Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 5, 2012
Oday Javelin Babylon Village, NY
So I am prepping our newest member of the fleet for me and my junior sailors. Bought a Javelin with a trailer for $600 and want to put it in first. My Flying Scot is sad. Some stuff needed to be done.

2 big things that is needed - a cabin hatch and an ice box cover. The teak veneer over marine ply hatch door is $49 so I will pick it up, but the ice box cover is $179 so I will fashion one myself.

I washed the boat down and used MaryKate acid wash GEL on the hull and actually entire boat. The second application really got all the dirt and rust stains off the hull. Then I polished the whole boat with West Marine Pure Oceans Fiberglass Cleaner Wax. Next I dropped the centerboard ant is was all rusty. A friend and expert on all things necessary in life suggested a rustoleum spray that bonds or chemically reacts to rust and forms a primer base. I then painted on Brownish red anti fouling paint. Next I did a little epoxy work where the boat had hit things up front around the bottom paint line. You could see the light through these spots looking into the 'cabin' so i figured I better thicken up those areas. The black mast and boom were dirty and beat up, but I didn't want to paint them so I wiped them down with WD40. The boats side decal are beaten up so we are not going to to win any dog shows anyway!

The sails are the old black, blue, light blue, and white ones. They have surface dirt and a few rust spots. I figure I will soap them up on the lawn and they should be good to go. The boom has the jam cleat half way down but no hardware at the end of the boom so I will have to add a pulley there. I will also add a topping lift and fashion a boom crutch.

I am pretty excited about the self bailing ability but at 225 pounds I am wondering if it will back up into the boat when I step aft if I don't get the plug in first thing.

I love small boats. Besides 2 Flying scots i also have a Bolger Bobcat, a wooden 13 ft catboat, a sunfish and a 1959 Fiberglass Cape Cod Bullseye I hope to resurrect when I can get my hands on a mast and boom.

Let me know if you have any ideas or suggestions or there is something I have missed or should be thinking about. I do have 2 observation ports on each side of the centerbaord near its pin. I noticed I have loose stirofoam planks underneath the deck. I wonder if that is normal or if they fell down from further up underneath the seats?

Anyway happy sailing. Looking forward to another great season of sailing across the Great South bay on the South shore of Long Island and getting over to the flats for some clamming and swimming among the uninhabited islands. If anyone wanted to read a good book on sailing in the area in the early 1900's try reading Blue Sloop at Dawn (try ebay) about a boy and his Timberpoint sailboat. Some are still around out here today and they are just beautiful!

-- jack

"There is nothing like the free feeling of feeling free wheeling!"

Attachments

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
As long as the boat is moving forward and reasonably level....any water in hte cockpit will be sucked out through the bailer. At rest, well.....you may get water flowing back in. There is a little ball inside the bailer that is suposed to seal it to prevent water from flowing back in (water inside the boat will force the ball out enough to drain the water out) but it really doesn't work very well. I have the same bailer on my DS II and leave the plug out of the bailer when I'm not aboard, that way any rain will just drain out. However, about 1 1/2 gallons of water will collect in the "well" at the stern as it flows in through the bailer......never gets more than a few inches back there....but sitting on the mooring it never drains completely. The first thing I do when I come aboard to put the plug in the bailer and sponge out the well. The bailer works, at least to prevent rain water from swamping the boat..........but remember, the bailer has a 5/8" diameter hole.........so it won't instantly drain like the scuppers on a larger boat, it will drain, but it may take a while!
If you did manage to get a lot of water in the cockpit while sailing, yo ucan pull out the 1" plug that is located higher on the transom (above water line?) and that will help speed the evacuation of water......just remember water will flow in as well as out through that hole. I carry a couple of buckets and a pump all the time, but 95% of their use has been removing rain water.

O'DAY did not include a block for the outhaul as standard equipment, that was an option. I used that original setup the first year that I had my boat, it worked OK, but adding a couple of blocks was MUCH better! I didn't rig mine exactly the same as the O'DAY instructions (I found those on-line after I made the upgrade!) but mine is basically the same. I rigged mine a bit simpler, the line dead-ends at the original boom-end fitting (forward hole) with a stopper knot, then leads forward to a block on shackled to the clew of the sail, then back through a cheek block on the starboard side of the boom, and forward to the jamcleat on hte boom. I've attached a PDF copy of the instructions.
D&R sells a great boom crutch that fits the Javelin as well as the DS II, pricey... but not bad. They show up on eBay sometimes at a slightly better price.

If you are looking for a mast and boom for that Bullseye, give Cape cod Shipbuilding a call....... or possibly DWYER, although CCSB's ZEPHYR division is the only "class-approved" supplier. Those are real nice boats! Stand up to anything.....they are out with full main and genoa when I'm reefed down without the jib! However........ I would probably leave them in my dust on a good broad reach (if under full sail) as I raise my CB a bit and plane away from them! Sailing out of Wareham.....I obviously see quite a few!

Attachments

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
My second sailboat was an old O'Day Javelin and I mean old. It looked more like a row boat than the later model Javelins but she was a great boat for the bay and could take fairly rough waters. I got her up to plane a couple of times outside Bristol Harbor on Narragansett Bay. She was a great boat.
I'm like you, I love small boats. I used to have a Sturdee Cat boat years ago.

A friend of mine is desperately trying to sell his 1998 Nimble Peep Hen to me. It's a Special Edition Deluxe model with the round bronze ports, Bimini Top, 2000 Johnson 8 hp, and bunk trailer. He's only asking $2500 for it. He bought it off "The Boat Shop" from Glen Gardiner in N.J. as a new left over boat back then and had it shipped to Taunton Ma. It's stored at his sister's home and it needs a lot of cleaning.

Hey Rod, would you be interested in something like that? The guy lives in Taunton.

Anyway, I wish you a lot of fun with the Javelin. I'm going to check out that book by Richard Bode. I was hoping that they had it in my city library but no such luck. They do have it in other city libraries and maybe I can borrow it from the inter-library loan system.
Good luck!
Joe

Jun 2, 2004
Joe, I'm familiar with those PEEP HENs, not a bad little boat......but a little too small for my taste. My "bigger" boat dreams are on long-term hold anyway (and regretably seem to be getting longer term!) due to being out of work at the moment.

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Joe, I'm familiar with those PEEP HENs, not a bad little boat......but a little too small for my taste. My "bigger" boat dreams are on long-term hold anyway (and regretably seem to be getting longer term!) due to being out of work at the moment.
The guy who owns this boat is an old rock and roll singer/guitar player from back in the 50s and 60s. He's about 72 now and doesn't get around too well.
He never sailed this boat since he bought and the sail was never used. He used the boat as a power boat and would take it from the Weir Village to Tiverton sometimes.
Being out of work really stinks. My oldest son Steve is out of work and he's having a hard time finding another job. He can do auto mechanic work and welding. I hope that something comes up soon for both you and my son. As for me, I'm glad I'm retired. The only work I want to do is on my boat and I've been doing a lot of that lately.
Good luck!
Joe

Mar 5, 2012
Sunbird:

The PDF graphic was just what I needed. Thanks. I think I'll attempt to make the boom crutch as well after looking at it... and the price they get for it. Plus how hard could it be it's just 1 piece of wood cut in half and from the look of it, 1 bolt. Next time you walk by it I would love to know the length of it if you don't mind and how many inched down is the bolt. I assume it is a 1 by something? Again thanks for your comments. I have had a number of old small sailboats and I am always amazed at the laundry list of things to do after you think you have covered everything and you go an see how it sails!

Thanks again. I found the Flying Scot great when taking 4 or 5 across the bay but yearned for simpler setups. Most times it was just 2 of us and I think with the Javelin I can hand the tiller and mainsheet to one of my 2 oldest and it will be a nice transition for them.

-- jack

Jun 2, 2004
The boom crutch is presently in my basement for refinishing. I'll measure it soon. I actually made a diagram several years ago for a friend who had a DS I........ wonder now where I put it? It is pretty simple, 2 ash planks about 5/8" thick. I'll measure it tomorrow.

Jun 2, 2004
OK, I finally got a chance to measure my boom crutch. The wood is about 1/2" thick, 50" long and 2 3/8" wide. The bolt is just under 3" from the end. I made a new drawing template, and have scanned it below. I used a 1/4" grid to lay out the top of the shape (not sure how this will scale when I post the drawing). The 2 pieces are identical, I think the previous picture that I posted will show the assembly, but let me know if you need clarification. I added one more pic from an old O'DAY brochure.

Attachments

Mar 5, 2012
Sunbird:

Wow. That is fantastic, thanks so much! I am going to get right on it. Last Sunday in Babylon Village our village slips opened a block away and with this weather I am anxious to get going! 1 more silly question - from what I gather from D&R Marine the halyards are 1/4' and the sheets are 5/15' - does that sound right?

-- jack

Jun 2, 2004
That would be correct, Halyards are 1/4" dia. Mainsheet and jib sheets are 5/16" dia.

O’DAY JAVELIN RIGGING SPECS
(Taken from a 1979 O’DAY memo)
Running Rigging Specs.
All Lengths and specifications are approximate and are subject to change without notice

Main Halyard: 1/4” x 44’
Jib Halyard: 1/4” x 34’9”
Mainsheet: 5/16” x 22’
(Mid-Boom Mainsheet 1974- later)
Jib Sheet: 5/16” x 23’ (11’6” each side)
Mainsail Outhaul: 3/16” x 8’
Boom Downhaul: 3/16” x 3’
Spinnaker Halyard: 3/16” x 32’
Spinnaker Pole Lift: 3/16” x 14’
Spinnaker Sheets: ¼” x 25’ (2x)

All running rigging is typically double-braid Dacron (Polyester) rope
Standing Rigging Specs.

Headstay: 3/32” x 15’5 ½”
Upper Shroud:3/32” x 15’7 ¾”

All Standing rigging is SS 1x19 type wire and lengths are with turnbuckle (where applicable) closed, from eye to eye (most riggers measure with turnbuckles half-closed, so be sure to note this and/or bring old rigging to rigger to measure for replacement)

Mar 5, 2012
Sunbird:

Thanks again. Your help has been so great. My first sailboat, years ago was a clipper marine 21 and everytime I took it out i had a new list of 'fixes'. Can't tell how great it is to pitch out a few basic questions and get someone knowledgeable! If you don't mind continuing the discussion, i have a slip a block away. If I dock it bow first can I just step on? I am 6'3" and 240 and last year year my second slip was a 13 foot Bolger Bobcat Cat boat and everytime I stepped on it, it was an adventure! In any case I thank you for your invaluable information. I can't wait to try out this puppy!

-- jack

Jun 2, 2004
Well, boarding over the stern wil lbe "safer" ,but that would mean you had to back into the slip. I would think, as long as you board near the centerline of the bow, and moved carefully..... you should be OK. However, I'd suggest staying low as you board and don't make any sudden moves. I have boarded my DS II over the bow as I push off the trailer or a beach, and can walk right up the the bow if needed underway or on the mooring, but I still do so carefully. I'm not much smaller than you, 5'10" and 210#.

I certainly wouldn't board a Javelin over the bow with the same casualness as if I were boarding a 30' boat.....but with reasonable care... It sholud be doable. However, as a friend of mine often says...."Your mileage may vary" Maybe the first time I'd sort of slide aboard almost sitting on the deck?
I used to have a WIDGEON, and made the mistake (back when I weighed less!) of standing on the mast partner/ seat to adjust one of the spreaders......... SPLASH!! Never made that mistake again..... and bailing out the water that half-filled the boat was further reminder. On my DS II I walk all over the deck...... she is beamier and more stable.

Mar 5, 2012
So I futzed around a bit today and I masted her and checked out the sails and sheets. They are in pretty good shape. I saw some pictures where they made the boom crutch from 2 pvc's which may make it maintenance free. I did buy the cuddy hatch cover - pretty good for the price.

Now the frustrating bit - I hit my 3 year old suzuki 2.5 hp on my catboat rudder last year. Bad news is it only bent the shear pin and garbeled up the lower unit a bit. I have since dropped the lower unit twice, taken it apart 3 times under the old tutalage, take it apart, put it back and maybe it will work. It is now in the shop for an estimate. The only reason why I didn't stick with a Nissan was the Suzuki was 10 pounds lighter. Now my wallet is going to be lighter. The problem is I only use it for docking and dedocking. it's a $715 dollar motor to move a $600 sailboat the first and last 20 feet. Do I want to spend $300 to fix a motor or just get a new one that I will at least know is new. Or do i go for the $850 and get the Nissan. Then I saw a guy selling an electric with 40 lbs of thrust, with battery and charger, used once for $200. The options seem boundless and I am addled by the possibility of the wrong choice. I should cheer up - there is no hope! -- jack

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.